East Village Pub

Forum about things do in Fort McMurray like restaurants, bars, movies, books, games, or other places to hang out.

East Village Pub

Place was nice, good service. Bruschetta was great, but my chicken burger was only ok, My wife didn't like the chicken fingers at all and the fries were very bland. Hopefully if I go again other things will be better.
Trixxstrr

East Village Pub

Sponsors

Advertise in Fort McMurray

Re: East Village Pub

Unread postby mcmurrian » Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:03 am

Do you know if this place is owned by the same people who run the Brew Pub?
Get your latest Fort McMurray News
mcmurrian
Site Admin

Unread postby Yossarian » Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:11 am

mcmurrian wrote:Do you know if this place is owned by the same people who run the Brew Pub?

No it's not.

Ya, it is kind pricey for very blah food. It's busy though as it is new.
Yossarian

Unread postby Tropics » Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:11 pm

Trixxstrr wrote:and the fries were very bland.

Anyone who owns or manages a restaurant in this city should find out exactly how Longshots Bar did their fries and simply copy that to the letter. I got to eat there one single time before they had to close because of the city expropriating the land that place was on but I can remember those fries to this day, they were absolutely stellar, the best fries I have ever had.

Fries as good as Longshots had would make me a regular customer of any bar that manages to figure out their secret. I think I had the garlic parmesan, they were absolutely outstanding.

There is no excuse for bad fries, but so many places have soggy flavourless fries...

They should all be as good as Longshots.
Tropics

Unread postby Yossarian » Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:01 am

Fries are simple. Don't buy frozen and cut your own.
Yossarian

Unread postby Tropics » Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:06 am

Yossarian wrote:Fries are simple. Don't buy frozen and cut your own.

They are not that simple. That is the problem, many people think like you just stated, buy a potato, cut it into fries, throw those into the fryer for X minutes, done.

That is not how you cook a proper fry to get the crispy outside and the properly cooked interior. Many top chefs have actually devised a lot of methods to get fries cook properly, soaking the cut fries in icewater for a time, triple frying them, attempting to pre "dry" the fries prior to cooking to a degree, using various types of oils and oil temperatures.

The problem with fries is exactly what you just did there, people think they are simple, they are not. They are closer to the cooking equivalent of a poached egg, if a chef can actually make a proper one then they actually kinda know what they are doing.
Tropics

Unread postby Yossarian » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:47 am

Tropics I worked in the restaurant industry for over 10 years and it is simple. Did fresh cut fries for years. It is not hard at all. Industrial peeler cleans 50 pounds in 5 minutes. Put in press and cut. Throw in a bucket with water and store in walk-in fridge. When you bring out your bucket pull the potato out and let drain and then double fry. Not as easy as just ripping open a bag but not that much more work for a high quality product that people will go out of there way to have. It's the same reason you cook your own prime rib in house instead of buying precooked bagged ones like most places do.
Yossarian

Unread postby Tropics » Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:37 pm

You just explained steps in cooking fries that a great many cooks in pubs have no clue about.
Tropics

Unread postby Yossarian » Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:18 am

Tropics if that's true then no wonder I don't eat out much anymore. I was taught that as a 16 year old helper. If you can't cook, you're not a cook. You're a reheater.
Yossarian

Return to Entertainment