Wood Buffalo Brewing Company

Forum about things do in Fort McMurray like restaurants, bars, movies, books, games, or other places to hang out.

I've been to the Wood Buffalo Brewing Company three times so far and wanted to give it some time before a review. Our first trip there was with a group of 5, a week after it opened. If you are trying on a Friday or Saturday night with a table bigger than 4, call ahead! We waited about 2 hours to get a table. They gave us a brewery tour, tasters of all their beer and had a few pints while we waited though. The service I've had there is definitely better than average for here, even with that crazy wait.

I've heard very mixed reviews of the food from friends/family in town, two people I talked to did not like their steak. I have had excellent food all three times I've been there though. The past weekend I went with my wife and we both loved our meals. She had the pulled pork sandwich and I had the lobster grilled cheese. My favourite so far is the banana panko chicken. The starters we had each time were great. Just be warned that the portion sizes are normal (which means smaller than other pub/bar food here). If you are in to watch a game on the weekend they have snacks you can order all day like their house made kettle chips or popcorn.

The beer is excellent. I had no idea the pub area was so large. Apparently the Athabaska water is very good for brewing beer from what the brewmaster was telling us. Their stout is delicious, even better than guiness! You can also buy a 'growler', which is a 1.9L jug of beer for offsales. Once you get it home it's best drank within the first 72 hours after it's poured. Once you crack it open you have about 24 hours to drink it, since it just has a screw cap. It holds about 5 cans of beer, I've found it's great if you are having dinner or a party with friends. They charge $22 for you to buy the bottle and your first fill, and then $14 for a refill.

So my verdict is that the food is generally very good. Be wary of the steak, but they have some very good menu items aside from that. I'll definitely be going back!
The Yeti

Sponsors

Advertise in Fort McMurray

Re: Wood Buffalo Brewing Company

Unread postby betsi » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:19 am

I agree with Yeti, the Brew Pub is a great addition to our limited supply of good places to go out. The pub was much bigger than expected, but gets full on the weekend. We were more lucky since we ran into friends and joined their table so didn't have to wait for one. We haven't been on the tour yet, so in case there is a lineup we can do this next time :). In terms of food we really liked their nachos which they serve in a pan. I liked the presentation of the sliders but they could benefit from the addition of some kind of sauce in my opinion.
The service can take a bit long due to all the people there but overall it's very good.
The manager went out of his way to satisfy our little whims, which was much appreciated.

I wish other older places in town will take a look at the Brew Pub and start competing on service and update their outdated decor to make their places more inviting.
betsi

Unread postby Trixxstrr » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:27 pm

We went there for the first time the other day. We went before 5 so it wasn't full yet. I'm not a beer drinker so I can't comment on the beer. I ordered the Spicy Buddha noodles with chicken and I wasn't too impressed. Kind of bland. It was a peanut sauce that didn't have any other flavour or kick to it, and the noodles were on the greasy or oily side. My wife ordered steak and it was undercooked, which she mentioned to the waitress and she just said "Oh, sorry". She also said the mashed potatoes she got with it were pretty bland also. So not a good first impression but I will try another time still.
Trixxstrr

Unread postby jango » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:15 pm

not a beer fan at all,,, too slow ...........
beer takes too long to get a buzz,
i just hammer back 3- 4 shots of vodka, and I'm there,
but hey if beer is your thing go for it :P
jango

Unread postby jango » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:22 am

finally got out to this joint over the weekend, must say , this has been the best food i have had downtown for a long time, atmosphere was great, food prices was ok, and the service was great as well
jango

Return to Entertainment