Zombies vs. Runners at annual fundraiser

What's new and exciting happening in Fort Mcmurray Forum

People will be dodging the undead in Fort McMurray at an event that will look like the zombie apocalypse.

The 2nd Annual Zombie Run is approaching and registration is open for the Girls Inc. Northern Alberta event that hopes to raise more than $5,000 dollars for the United Way.

The object of the game is to make it to the end of the five kilometre stretch of the Birchwood Trail while dodging the volunteer zombies who are reaching for runners' three flags.

"It's non contact," says Executive Director Ann Dort-MacLean. "They can't tackle them, they can't eat their brains, they have to just concentrate on the flags, but the zombies were really scary last year. It was fun to see the reaction of the runners when they came across a group of zombies lurching towards them."

Downtown construction has prompted organizers to move the event to the Birchwood Trail, giving the volunteer zombies an extra edge at stopping the runners.

"There's all sorts of places where zombies can lurk and we'll be making it a little bit difficult by putting some hay bales along the route so the runners will have to scramble to save their lives," says Dort-MacLean.

People can pick their side, zombie or human by going online to register at girlsincofnorthernalberta.org. Pledge forms are also available online.

The event is scheduled for October 5, starting at the Doug Barnes cabin on 190 Tamarack Drive.
Fort McMurray News

Sponsors

Advertise in Fort McMurray

Re: Zombies vs. Runners at annual fundraiser

Unread postby The Yeti » Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:11 am

I registered too late for the half marathon, but I'm not missing this. Ought to be a blast!
The Yeti

Unread postby purpleturtle » Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:04 am

Yeti....which side are you going to be on? lol

Last years was great, and considering that was the first year they did it...I can only assume that this year will be even better!!
purpleturtle

Unread postby The Yeti » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:28 am

I'm on the human side for now. I tried to sign up last year but the race was full a couple of days before the run. I think it's going to be a lot of fun. Way more interesting than my normal runs in the trails!
The Yeti

Unread postby The Yeti » Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:26 pm

That was a blast. So much fun. There were a ton of zombies on the narrow trails! I died fast as all three of my flags were gone in the first 5 minutes. It was my own fault though, I didn't stick with a group and was really aggressive with my dodging but it wasn't enough. I'll have to work on my strategy for next year's run. You need a big group if you want to keep your flags. There were a bunch of really convincing zombies too, a couple of pretty talented makeup artists working the event.

My only complaint was they didn't have any extra flags at the first aid stations. I ended up just being a dead guy who finished way ahead of the main groups of runners.

I'd highly recommend the event. It was a lot of fun for a good cause.
The Yeti

Return to Fort McMurray Events