ACFN awaits decision from Joint Review Panel on Shell's proposed Jackpine Mine expansion

Latest Fort McMurray News, find out what's happening in Fort Mac

ACFN awaits decision from Joint Review Panel on Shell's proposed Jackpine Mine expansion

A decision on the future of the regulatory review surrounding Shell's Jackpine Mine expansion will be made by the end of the week.

Today, lawyers representing Shell, the province, and the Athabasca Chipewyan First Nation gave submissions of precedents to the joint review panel, and as the band's lawyer Eamon Murphy says, today's hearings are just the beginning.

"Today was just on a preliminary question, and that was about whether the panel has the jurisdiction to hear the constitutional challenges that have been filed by the Aboriginal participants," said Murphy. "So, now the panel is going to take their time and make a decision and then the panel will reconvene on Monday to start the main hearing, which is to hear whether Shell is going to be able to proceed with their Jackpine Mine expansion."

Chief of the Assembly of First Nations Bill Erasmus says, it's important people stand up against the proposed expansion, and to the Federal government.

"They feel because they have a majority, they have the mandate to do whatever they want. Not everyone in this country is the same; the Fort Chipewyan Athabasca people have collective rights," said Chief Erasmus. "Those rights are  enshrined in a constitution, and are separate from the rights that Canadian people have. So, you can have a majority, you can have whatever you want in Ottawa, but you can't take away their rights."

ACFN alleges the government has failed to meaningfully address the project's bearing on treaty rights, including environmental degradation of traditional territories and waterways

So far, 50,000 people have written letters to Shell opposing the project, standing in solidarity with First Nation peoples.

More to come...
Fort McMurray News

Sponsored links

Advertise in Fort McMurray

Return to Fort McMurray News