Alberta Crushes Manitoba At U-16 Western Canada Football Championship

Latest Fort McMurray News, find out what's happening in Fort Mac

Alberta Crushes Manitoba At U-16 Western Canada Football Championship

A couple of Fort McMurrayites will have a champions homecoming following the U-16 Western Canadian Football Challenge.

This past weekend in Edmonton, Team Alberta obliterated Team Manitoba by a score of 47-21 to become Western Canadian champions.

Kwame Osei – better known as the Head Coach for the Holy Trinity Football Knights, was selected to be Alberta’s receiving coach back in December.

He tells Fort McMurray News the entire team looked electric in the second half and never took their foot off the gas.

“I’m glad to see my receivers did their thing and the rest of the team followed suit. So, second half our defence was phenomenal – we only gave up one touchdown. It was a complete effort by every unit of the team and that’s what happens when you have great coaches and great players.”

Osei feels the win is only a sign of things to come for the future of football in the province.

He adds the boys made Alberta proud with the perseverance they showed.

These kids banded together as brothers and as a team and it’s hard in such a short period of time to get to know somebody but for the pride and spirit of Alberta they came through, got that ‘W’ and now we are Western Canada champs. That’s something no one can ever take from us.”

The Knights were well represented beyond Osei, with receiver Riley Stoodley lining up on offence.

Following an injury to another receiver, Stoodley was named to the team and his high school coach feels he never missed a beat.

Osei says he was happy to have the opportunity to handpick one of his own players.

“He is a hard worker and I’ve seen him grow so much as a football player throughout the last two years,” Osei said. “And I just felt this would be a great experience and you know what? He took the opportunity, he came in as a member of the team, he made that adjustment and fit right in with the rest of the guys. He made some big plays for us.”

For Osei personally, it’s one of his greatest coaching accomplishments to date but he feels more success is yet to come.
Fort McMurray News

Sponsored links

Advertise in Fort McMurray

Return to Fort McMurray News