Alleged assault victim still fearful a year later

Latest Fort McMurray News, find out what's happening in Fort Mac

Alleged assault victim still fearful a year later

A victim of a violent home invasion in Thickwood is living in fear for his life.

Mason Jantzen was in court Thursday, testifying in the trial for Jasper Dobie, who allegedly broke into his home and had a hand in a bloody attack.

Jantzen says Dobie and Cody Slade gave him a brutal beating in the morning of September 11, 2012. He feared retaliation when Wood Buffalo RCMP began investigating and he was referred to victims services, which arranged temporary housing as a safety measure.

"I don't even want to be in court today because I love Fort McMurray and now I can't live here," Jantzen told defence lawyer Clayton Rice.

In a police statement, Jantzen says he was beaten nearly unconscious. However, in court he could vaguely remember his words because they were drowned by stutters, a swollen lip and a cut up mouth.

I was so scared, so shaken up, so flippin' beaten, he said.

The aftermath was presented as evidence through police photos showing the victim s bloody and swollen face. Another photo showed a large bruised at the back of his head where Jantzen says he was repeatedly hit with a handgun.

Slade was allegedly trying to collect drug money that his friend owed him. Jantzen says he was paying out his friend s debt to because he thought something bad would happen.

Police reports say the pair entered Jantzen's apartment on Silin Forest Road brandishing firearms. Jantzen says it as only a few seconds before they kicked, punched and dragged him from room to room of his apartment, even after giving them money.

His friend just kept coming back at me and smashing me in the face, he told police.

Dobie's lawyer argued that Jantzen barely saw the accused before he started loosing consciousness. The victim describes blacking out several times and says he couldn't tell who was hitting him at times.

Slade plead guilty to a handful of charges in May, he was sentenced to three years in prison.

Dobie is facing 10 charges including assault with a weapon, extortion, robbery and breaching his bail conditions.

The case returns to court this morning.
Fort McMurray News

Sponsored links

Advertise in Fort McMurray

Return to Fort McMurray News