Cabbies will stage hunger strike if demands aren't met by deadline

Latest Fort McMurray News, find out what's happening in Fort Mac

Cabbies will stage hunger strike if demands aren't met by deadline

Cab drivers are willing to take drastic measures to push the RMWB to protest a bylaw that cut their meter rates by 50 cents.

In a letter to the Municipality penned yesterday, drivers ask for a $1.83 rate, a $1000 license that will last three years and a cut to fines.

Drivers walked away from the wheel this week to protest the Vehicle for Hire bylaw, and they plan to stage a hunger strike in front of the Jubilee Centre if changes aren't made by the end of November.

"The hunger strike and the bylaw are the same thing," says Abdihannah Hussein, who is leading the striking drivers. "If they want to destroy us, this is, we will destroy ourselves before they destroy us."

Hussein says staging the hunger strike is not ideal, but the current bylaw is seriously threatening their livelihood. He say the Municipality should have looked at the industry in other cities and compared rates before it knocked 50 cents off every kilometre and raised fees. He points to cities such as Winnipeg, where rates are as low as $1.38.

In an interview with Fort McMurray News this week, the Municipality's Chief Taxi Inspector said drivers will have to wait until after elections, when council resumes, to present to the RMWB. Phil Walding also penned a letter yesterday outlining how he can help.

"It is my commitment to assist in the preparation and submission to the Regional Municipality of Wood Buffalo Council at the earliest time possible a request for an increase to the sealed meter rates as defined in Bylaw 13/001," writes Walding. "I will continue to communicate with the Vehicle for Hire industry utilizing the Taxi Advisory Committee to engage and respond to concerns brought forth."

Cab driver Tony, has been driving in the region on and off for about 25 years. He says there's a misconception from the public about the hard work they do.

"Physically, mentally, emotionally, everything," he says. "It is one of the most, the top 10 if you look at, top 10 stressful jobs in Canada and North America and on the top 10 dangerous jobs in North America. So it's not an easy job like people think. If people think this is easy and we make lots of money, let the mayor, let anybody come and drive for one week and tell me exactly what good of a job and how tough it is."

The driver's deadline for changes is November 30, 2013.
Fort McMurray News

Sponsored links

Advertise in Fort McMurray

Re: Cabbies will stage hunger strike if demands aren't met by deadline

Unread postby Concerned Resident » Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:37 am

"It is one of the most, the top 10 if you look at, top 10 stressful jobs in Canada and North America and on the top 10 dangerous jobs in North America.

I can find a top ten list that says that hunger strikes are dangerous also. I am sorry, but I have been reading alot about this issue and am losing all respect for cab drivers, not that I had much to begin with. Two weeks ago I took a cab home and asked the driver to go a certain way because it was alot faster and he totally ignored me and went the long route. The whole time talking in a different language on his phone. he wouldnt even acknowledge that I was even there until it was time to pay and he then said it had to be in cash. Then I took a cab from work. The cabbie pulled up...United Class Cabs on the side of the car. when we got in, he pulled the united magnets off the doors and put them in the car. no meter in the car. then said he does flat rates and only cash. WTF? If someone doesnt regulate this, then this garbage is gonna keep happening. Stop crying and do a professional job. you pay for what you get, and to me it looks like there should be a major pay cut. I am all for everybody making a living, but am also all for people earning it because of doing a good job.
As far as a hunger strike goes...I really dont understand this. If someone wants to stop eating to get something to change...you are gonna be one hungry person in my books, because I dont really care if you dont eat. It is your choice. its not my fault. Come to the table with some reasonable options and talk about it.

I dont normally comment on this stuff, but wow. this is about the stupidest thing I have heard....hunger strike by cab drivers. wtf?
Concerned Resident

Re: Cabbies will stage hunger strike if demands aren't met by deadline

Unread postby MacDaddy » Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:50 am

Psssst... Hey Cabbies, we can see through much better BS compared to what you are trying to serving us. The leaves are changing and winter is comming. The Arab Spring is over and we could care less about your hunger strike. Save that for when you are a political prisoner in Egypt.
MacDaddy

Return to Fort McMurray News