Construction Starting Next Spring on Willow Square Continuing Care Facility

Latest Fort McMurray News, find out what's happening in Fort Mac

Construction Starting Next Spring on Willow Square Continuing Care Facility

After years of waiting, the Willow Square Continuing Care Facility will break ground next year.

On Tuesday, Alberta Infrastructure and Alberta Health Services discussed the long-awaited project with council. The plans are to start construction in Spring 2018, taking around two years to complete.

Though the reactions were mostly positive, there were some concerns about whether or not the work will actually get done.

“I’m a little wary, until we see actual buildings going up, not just shovels in the ground but the cement being poured,” said Councillor Phil Meagher.

Meanwhile, Councillor Tyran Ault said he’s upset it took this long to start construction, calling the entire a process a “shame.”

“There were some great men and women who could have spent their last years in that facility but we’ll get it right now for them.”

The facility will be for people of all ages, not just seniors, who need additional help.

So far, the plans include having 108-beds with an additional floor being built to add another 36 if the need for the facility increases.

“When we open beds, we’ll fill the beds,” added Denise Wilkinson, Area Manager for Seniors Health. “We are seeing a steep increase in elderly parents relocating here so they always say build it and they will come.”

Around 70 per cent of the area will be used for the continuing care facility, the remaining 30 per cent will see an Aging-in-Place facility.

This building would most likely house seniors who don’t need the specific aid from a continuing care facility, just a place for them to call home.

Right now, there is no date for construction, no exact plans for the facility or a design.

“Promises without specific dates are like dreams so I’m hoping to see something more substantial in the next little while,” added Meagher.

Alberta Infrastructure is planning to put up a new sign on Willow Square, updating the construction dates, in the coming weeks.
Fort McMurray News
 
Posts: 18080
Joined: Wed May 04, 2011 2:30 am
Location: Fort McMurray, Alberta, Canada

Sponsored links

Advertise in Fort McMurray
 
Location: Alberta, Canada

Return to Fort McMurray News

 


  • Related topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] and 17 guests