Dozens left homeless by Thickwood apartment fire

Latest Fort McMurray News, find out what's happening in Fort Mac

Dozens left homeless by Thickwood apartment fire

Dozens of Fort McMurray families have been displaced by a Thickwood apartment fire last night.

The blaze at Silin Court erupted shortly after 9 o'clock last night and quickly engulfed most of the building, making many units, for hours, inaccessible to firefighters.

Flames shot 50 feet into the air and smoke engulfed the entire neighborhood, spreading north and into the sky, visible from blocks away.

Deputy Chief of Operations for the Fort McMurray Fire Department, Darby Allen spoke with Fort McMurray News, on scene.

"When we showed up, and I believe we got the call fairly quickly, we we're in defensive mode right away, the whole exterior of two sides of the building were fully involved in fire, many units were involved in fire, so it spread very quickly, we were in here within our normal time frames, but it looked as if it had been going for a little while before we got here, so I'm not sure why that is."

Shortly after 10:00pm, firefighters could be seen breaking windows, accessing units on the north end of the building by ladder and searching for signs of life, as smoke still billowed and flames tore through the framing in the roof.

Leonard Broderick was relaxing, watching television, waiting for his wife to return home from work when he heard a loud bang.

From his balcony, he noticed people out on the street gawking at his apartment building, when he saw flames spreading from the apartment overhead.

"Well it was coming down pretty quick, smoke started coming in, just as soon as I got out on the balcony smoke started coming in the apartment, I grabbed my cat, grabbed my playbook, I should have grabbed my telephone and went out the door.

Broderick was at the emergency shelter last night with his wife, Mary. And while his partner was still in her Diversified uniform, looking official among the dazed evacuees, her husband was bare chested and disheveled. He'd escaped the building with little more than his blue work jump suit and was wearing boots on lend from the neighboring chapel after he ran out into the street, barefoot.

Broderick says alarms never alerted tenants of the impending flames.

"The woman who'se apartment was on fire, she was banging on everyones door, getting everyone out, so she was a real hero...the only alarm I ever heard was Tina."

Tina, who entered the foyer only moments later was visibly shaken, saying she'd left her cat behind, instead alerting her neighbors, unaware of the spreading blaze.

An emergency shelter has been established at Thickwood Heights Elementary, where Emergency Services and the Food Bank are among the agencies on hand to assist.

The cause of the blaze remains unknown, but tenants suspect it may have been electrical, telling Fort McMurray News there were strange plastic chemical fumes in the air before the blaze erupted.

Residents eager to provide donations are asked to await word from emergency officials, which are still working to assess need and organize response.
thickwoodfire.jpg
Silin Court Apartment fire in Thickwood 2012
Fort McMurray News

Sponsored links

Advertise in Fort McMurray

Re: Dozens left homeless by Thickwood apartment fire

Unread postby betsi » Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:22 am

The Food Bank will be open Monday to accept donations for those affected. Drop off your food donations in person at 10117 King Street.
The Regional Municipality of Wood Buffalo has asked that the public refrain from bringing donations to the Emergency Reception, while the generosity is appreciated, the centre does not have the capacity to handle donations. Information for donations, and general information on this incident will be shared when it becomes available.
betsi

Re: Dozens left homeless by Thickwood apartment fire

Unread postby aswhite81 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:59 am

ANYONE WISHING TO DONATE ITEMS, YOU CAN POST ITEMS ON THIS FACEBOOK PAGE https://www.facebook.com/SilinCourtFire ... sDonations WE DO NOT COLLECT THE ITEMS, POEPLE CAN POST WHAT THEY HAVE OR NEED AND YOU WORK OUT HOW TO GIVE OR RECEIVE THE ITEMS BETWEEN YOURSELVES.
aswhite81

Return to Fort McMurray News