Fort McMurray Helping Those Affected by BC Wildfires

Latest Fort McMurray News, find out what's happening in Fort Mac

Fort McMurray Helping Those Affected by BC Wildfires

“They need our help.”

That coming from Marty Frost, one of the many Fort McMurray residents who have taken it upon themselves to help fill trailers full of supplies for people evacuating the wildfires across British Columbia.

Over the weekend, Frost asked the community to lend a hand to those affected by the fires. Since, they’ve been able to send three trailers full of food, water, gas, and other supplies to the Kamloops area.

“Everybody stepped up to help us so it’s time to return it.”

The group is preparing to send out their next load, hoping to send out roughly 56,000 pounds of supplies. Handling the donations is Crystal Purcell who remembers fondly being in the same situation with her two dogs last year.

“If it wasn’t for the evac centres and the generosity that was surrounding us at the time, I would have had nothing. It’s very important to get to these people, there is a whole lot of damage out there that’s worse than what we incurred in the city, we need to get these people set up, they’ve lost their livelihoods.”

Both Purcell and Smith note they are looking to receive cash and gas donations.

“Gas cards are fabulous, they’re always going to help, first responders do get stranded in their vehicles and machinery,” added Purcell.

She notes the next trip will be going towards the Prince George area.

“It’s a whole province that’s on evacuation standby right now and there are a lot of people over there.”

Aurelie Smith is one of many who’ve donated to the cause. She tells Fort McMurray News it was an easy decision to help out.

“Last year, all of Canada helped us and we were very lucky to have so much help, understanding what they’re going through.”

The majority of her donations were baby supplies as she notes she was pregnant during the community’s evacuation.

“I was two weeks to the due date so any baby stuff we could find in the different centres were appreciated with great value to us so that’s what I though I give.”

The organizing group notes first responders have asked for fire retardant gloves, safety glasses, mineral waters, baby powder, clothing, water, and other items.

Donations can still be made as they are stationed in the parking lot next to the downtown AMA.
Fort McMurray News

Sponsored links

Advertise in Fort McMurray

Return to Fort McMurray News