Fort McMurray International Air Show continues today

Latest Fort McMurray News, find out what's happening in Fort Mac

Fort McMurray International Air Show continues today

The world renowned Snowbirds take flight at the Fort McMurray International Air Show.

The Canadian Forces are going to war on the Fort Mcmurray skyline, but only to put on a show for the crowd.

It's the second day of the Fort McMurray International Air Show which celebrates the grand opening of the new terminal. Performers include the world-renowned Snowbirds, aerobatic duo Team Rocket, the Skyhawks parachute team and the CF-18 Hornet demonstration team which is celebrating the Royal Canadian Air Force’s 90th anniversary. Pilot Adam "Manik" Runge tells Mix 103.7 what it’s like manning the high speed aircraft.

Image“Every time the force is against your body, it really makes you remember that you’re just another human being. It doesn’t matter who you are, those g-forces are going to punish the same no matter what. But it was a great feeling out there, flying for this crowd,” he says.

Corporal Alex Doduk of the Skyhawks is spending his first year on the team. He says they start off with just landing together accurately. Five weeks later they’re landing in complex formations, with pyrotechnics and in very small drop zones. Doduk says the experience is a dream come true.

“I actually saw the team jumping in Abbotsford, B.C. when I wasa young kid. I thought man I’d like to do that some day. And that is actually what pushed me to go join the military, get my civilian skydiving license for extra training, and [I’ve been] lucky enough to get picked for this season,” he says.

Gates open at 10 a.m. today. The world renowned Snowbirds cap off the event when they take flight at 4:00.

The Canadian Forces Skyhawks.
Fort McMurray News

Sponsored links

Advertise in Fort McMurray

Return to Fort McMurray News