Fort McMurray Well Represented at Boston Marathon

Latest Fort McMurray News, find out what's happening in Fort Mac

Fort McMurray Well Represented at Boston Marathon

Three Fort McMurrayites are in need of some rest after taking on the world’s most famous marathon.

Thousands of people were in New England on Monday to take part in the annual Boston Marathon with Ali Myers, Kim Wiwchar, and Blake Crossley all finishing the 42.2 km race.

Wiwchar crossed the finish line with a time of 3:11:13, Myers at 3:42:40, and Crossley with 5:18:46.

Crossley qualified after raising $5000 for the National Organization for Rare Disorders – running to highlight individuals with rare disorders. For the past two years, he’s been racing in marathons in honour of Tessa Booth, a 3-year-old Fort McMurray girl with a rare form of lung cancer.

He tells Fort McMurray News at times he wanted to quit but pushed on after remembering the reason he wanted to join.

“The thought crossed my mind a few times when the weather was absolutely crazy and I just thought about the Booth family, especially Tess, and it got me through the finish.”

Sheets of rain, snow, and hail were just a few obstacles the racers dealt with on a cold, miserable day.

The weather wasn’t the challenge for Crossley as he also suffers from eight different heart conditions and even lives with a pacemaker.

Lucky for him, a friend from his hometown also ran the race, helping him monitor his pace and complete the marathon without any issues.

“She said I’ll pace you and help you get to the finish line.”

Now that the race is finished, Crossley can cross off an extra item off his bucket list. To not only finish but also highlight a great cause was a perfect end to a dream he’s had for a long time.

“It’s not only yourself out there, you’re out there representing an organization, out there representing Tessa, it’s a whole different ballpark.”
Fort McMurray News

Sponsored links

Advertise in Fort McMurray

Return to Fort McMurray News