Huskies Seeing Silver Lining Following ACAC Gold Medal Loss

Latest Fort McMurray News, find out what's happening in Fort Mac

Huskies Seeing Silver Lining Following ACAC Gold Medal Loss

Sometimes when trying to make history, you’re going to deal with a little heartbreak.

The Keyano Huskies women’s basketball team learned that the hard way as they settled for silver on Saturday – falling in the ACAC Championship match to the Olds College Broncos 54-51.

Head Coach Dwayne Vigilance tells Fort McMurray News despite the loss his team should be proud with the effort they put forth.

“I thought it was a very good game, we battled right until the end. Little things here and there, missed a couple of lay-ups, turned the ball over a few times. So, those are things that we can control but Olds played a really great game and we take our hats off to them.”

Keyano came into the contest in search of the program’s first gold medal following wins over Lethbridge College and Augustana.

With 1:21 remaining in the fourth quarter – it seemed like the girls could almost taste it.

ImageThe Husky expressions were fairly glum when Olds retook the lead late in the 4th quarter. Photo by: Brandon Piper//Harvard Broadcasting

The Huskies held a one-point lead at that point following a Moiyan Toure free throw.

However, a quick fadeaway from Olds’ star and tournament Most Valuable Player Brittney Thibeaux gave the Broncos a 50-49 lead with 1:18 to go.

An additional free throw from Thibeaux put the Broncos up by two.

From there, with less than a minute remaining, the visitors capitalized off a Husky turnover – extending their lead to four points and they never looked back.

Vigilance says they just made too many simple mistakes that cost them.

“Down the stretch, we turned the ball over three times, missed like three or four key layups. Those are things that we can control. Other than that, I think we played great.”

The inconsistencies lead to the Huskies shooting just over 28 per cent from the field, while the Broncos were slightly more efficient at 34 per cent.

Toure continued her strong tournament, earning her second Husky Player of the Game honour, posting a team-high 13 points and 14 rebounds.

Meanwhile, Augusta Kievisaite posted 12 points and 8 rebounds and Aaliyah Johnson added 11.

ImageDwayne Vigilance looks on during the action. Photo by: Brandon Piper//Harvard Broadcasting

Despite the loss, the Huskies managed to clinch a spot at the 2019 Canadian Collegiate Athletic Association women’s basketball championship.

Vigilance feels their season is far from over.

“We’ve still got Nationals, we have lots left to do. I think this team can surprise people at that stage. So, after that, I’ll think about next year but right now, my head is focused on Nationals.”

They’ll be in Sainte Foy, Quebec for the CCAA’s from March 13-16.
Fort McMurray News

Sponsored links

Advertise in Fort McMurray

Return to Fort McMurray News