Kevin Spooner newest Boreal Open champion

Latest Fort McMurray News, find out what's happening in Fort Mac

Kevin Spooner newest Boreal Open champion

The winner of this weekend's Boreal Open said he didn't even think he was in contention at the start of the day.

Kevin Spooner shot a 9-under 63 in his fourth round yesterday, en route to a five hole playoff victory over Ben Silverman and Talor Gooch.

Spooner says he had a long hill to climb at the start of the day.

"Teeing off this morning, I thought I had no chance of getting into contention for the win, being nine shots back to start," he said.

"But I got off to a great start, played pretty aggressive, and made a lot of putts. And then the leaders backed up a little bit, and I was able to get into the playoff, which was awesome."

It's the first time the tournament was decided on a playoff since Cory Renfrew won on the fourth playoff hole back in 2012.

For each of the playoff holes, the players re-played the par-5, nearly 600-yard eighteenth hole.

Spooner says he just tried to play it safe.

"It was kind of tough, because the wind was coming in pretty hard on the tee. So hitting driver, you've got to really hit it pure and straight, or else it's going to take the wind and go left or right," he said.

"And the worst thing you can do is just knock yourself out after a tee shot. I knew the way I was putting, I just wanted to lay-up to 140 yards, get it on the green, and get myself looks at birdie."

With the win, Spooner took home just over $31,000 of the $175,000 purse.

Past winners Renfrew and Riley Wheeldon both missed the cut.
Fort McMurray News

Sponsored links

Advertise in Fort McMurray

Return to Fort McMurray News