Lives Lost on Highway 63 Remembered Through Memorial Ride

Latest Fort McMurray News, find out what's happening in Fort Mac

Lives Lost on Highway 63 Remembered Through Memorial Ride

Around 150 people who lost their lives on Highway 63 are being remembered through the 7th Annual Memorial Ride.

Over 100 people riding bikes, cars, and other vehicles drove 100 km down the road on Tuesday, bringing with them a giant flag filled with the names of those who’ve died on the highway.

Founder Annie Lelievre tells Fort McMurray News the ride is a way for people to never forget the victims of countless tragedies.

“We’ve lost too many people and I feel that the people were getting forgotten about, we have so many new people coming to town and they don’t know what the highway used to be like.”

Lelievre, who lost both her son and ex-husband on the highway, started the ride in 2011. She also started a petition to get the twinning of the highway pushed forward, receiving over 60,000 signatures in support.

Construction officially finished in 2016 after years of work.

“The feedback that I’m getting, the response of people telling me how much better they feel going down the highway – I think it had a tremendous impact on our community,” added Lelievre.

She adds the twinning also played a big part in the evacuation during the Horse River Wildfire.

Meanwhile, Lelievre hopes more people come out for the 8th annual ride.
Fort McMurray News

Sponsored links

Advertise in Fort McMurray

Return to Fort McMurray News