Long-Time Political Campaigner Running For UCP Nomination For Fort McMurray-Conklin

Latest Fort McMurray News, find out what's happening in Fort Mac

Long-Time Political Campaigner Running For UCP Nomination For Fort McMurray-Conklin

A long-time political campaigner is seeking the United Conservative Party nomination for the riding of Fort McMurray-Conklin.

Willie Hoflin is looking to fill the vacant seat left by former MLA Brian Jean who decided to step away from politics last month.

He tells Fort McMurray News he believes he’s the best person to help deal with many issues hitting the region.

“I think after 40 years of being here and all my political involvement I think I can offer a strong voice for the riding.”

Hoflin has worked with a number of politicians including serving as Jean’s financial officer for the past three years and was Guy Boutilier's campaign manager during his entire public service career as Alderman, Mayor, and MLA.

In addition, Hoflin was also president of the local Wildrose constituency office and he is one of the founding members of the Northern Alberta Athletic Association, the group that owns the Oil Barons, and sits on the Board of Directors for the Fort McMurray Oil Barons.

Outside of politics and volunteering, Hoflin is getting set to retire from Syncrude after 40 years – where he currently works as a Production Service Advisor.

As for his priorities, Hoflin has hopes of promoting the idea of getting oil to tidewater, stopping the carbon tax, working on the municipal government act, and getting better support from the province when it comes to health and education.

He also wants to see the government play a more prominent role in the wildfire recovery.

“I’m hoping to get the ears of the insurance bureau and do some work with them to hopefully make it better if it were to occur in another area.”

He is up against councillor Phil Meagher, campaign volunteer Laila Goodridge, and social worker Elizabeth Keating who have also announced their intentions to run.

“If something were to occur that I wasn’t to win, I would throw all my support behind whoever is the winner,” Hoflin added.
Fort McMurray News

Sponsored links

Advertise in Fort McMurray

Return to Fort McMurray News