Mayor Scott Hopes To Meet With PM, Quebec Premier During Spring Trip To Quebec City

Latest Fort McMurray News, find out what's happening in Fort Mac

Mayor Scott Hopes To Meet With PM, Quebec Premier During Spring Trip To Quebec City

Wood Buffalo council is getting set for a trip to Quebec City to help promote the region and the oilsands.

The Federation of Canadian Municipalities Annual Conference takes place in the Spring, and Mayor Don Scott along with some councillors are looking at it as a chance to improve relations with Quebec.

Speaking on Fort McMurray Matters, Scott says administration is looking into hosting a dinner and inviting Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, Quebec Premier Franois Legault, and other elected officials.

“We can’t always guarantee that people are going to take us up on these invitations, but I really want to see us reach a handout and I hope that we receive a hand back.”

He feels there are a number of reasons why relations with the French-Canadian province have been lukewarm.

“There have been perceived challenges with the relationship between us and Quebec and the oilsands, I think it’s historically related to pipelines. What I would like to see is us really create as many strong relationships as we can.”

The conference runs from May 30 to June 2.
Fort McMurray News

Sponsored links

Advertise in Fort McMurray

Return to Fort McMurray News