MLA Yao Running Again in Next Provincial Election

Latest Fort McMurray News, find out what's happening in Fort Mac

MLA Yao Running Again in Next Provincial Election

A familiar face is running for the United Conservative Party in the riding of Fort McMurray-Wood Buffalo.

Current MLA Tany Yao is seeking re-election after receiving the nomination from the UCP’s.

He’s coming off his first term as one of the two local representatives in the Alberta Legislature. Yao was first elected in 2015 where he defeated the incumbent, and current Wood Buffalo Councillor, Mike Allen.

Yao tells Fort McMurray News he hopes to continue representing the community and bring much-needed services to the RMWB.

“Right now, things look strong for us that, god-willing, we could make government, that’s when we can influence real change.”

He says he wants to continue to advocate for a strong energy sector and better local services, such as healthcare. For the past couple of years, Yao has served as the Opposition’s shadow minister for Health.

He adds he hasn’t received any confirmation that he’d keep his critic position or be given a minister role if re-elected.

“I just have to continue to work hard and continue to represent this community, so I would certainly hope that I could have that opportunity but [the UCP’s] are getting a lot of bright minds that are being nominated across this province.”

In a statement, UCP Leader Jason Kenney says he’s happy to have Yao run again.

“Tany has effectively held this NDP government to account on its mismanagement of Alberta's health care system – one of the most costly and inefficient systems in the country. I am pleased to know that we will continue to benefit from this experience as we prepare to fight the 2019 election."

So far, no other provincial parties have publically announced a candidate for the riding of Fort McMurray-Wood Buffalo.

The next provincial election will take place on or before May 31, 2019.
Fort McMurray News

Sponsored links

Advertise in Fort McMurray

Return to Fort McMurray News