Monarchs Keep Eyes On The Prize

Latest Fort McMurray News, find out what's happening in Fort Mac

Monarchs Keep Eyes On The Prize

The Fort McMurray Monarchs continue to electrify the opposition with their signature lopsided wins.

A 62-0 shutout victory over the St Albert Stars puts the Monarchs at 6-and-0 on the season – with another struggling opponent on deck in the Lloydminster Vandals.

Head Coach Jesse Maddox tells Fort McMurray News they have to stay level headed if they hope to avoid a similar fate from last season.

“We’ve got guys that have been there, guys who’ve won and lost – guys who’ve played in this league. We’ve seen what 8-and-0 did last year to lose in the provincial title. So, I mean realistically we have the right group of guys for it. It’s just a matter of managing it come playoffs.”

Heading into week 9, the Monarchs will be looking to go 7-0 and get themselves a bit of breathing room in the AFL standings.

As it stands, Fort McMurray is trailed by the Central Alberta Buccaneers (5-1) for the top seed in the AFL.

Maddox says despite their dominance thus far, they aren’t labelling themselves champions of anything yet – with a strong Bucs’ team right over their shoulder.

“When we played them last time, that was probably the worst game we played all season and we got out of that game by making big plays. I’d almost bet my life savings that we won’t be able to do that again in Red Deer and we have to be able to take and complete what is given.”

Now with a struggling Lloydminster team (2-3-1) on deck, Head Coach Jesse Maddox expects to see another lopsided win this weekend.

“Lopsided or not, these are practices, these are scrimmages, and this is what we’re gearing up for. When you play Central Alberta on any given day, we could easily lose and that’s one of the reasons why we got to make sure we take care of business, no matter how good or bad that opponent is.”

The Monarchs are in Lloydminster on Saturday looking to remain unbeaten – with kickoff at 5 p.m.
Fort McMurray News

Sponsored links

Advertise in Fort McMurray

Return to Fort McMurray News