Next Steps Being Looked Into for High-Speed Internet for Rural Communities

Latest Fort McMurray News, find out what's happening in Fort Mac

The rural communities are getting closer to having high-speed internet.

Earlier in the week, the rural committee met and discussed next steps in providing the service.

This includes finding a potential provider and getting funding from the Federal Government. Late in 2016, the feds announced they would allocate $500 million to rural communities across Canada so they can get the service.

Councillor Jane Stroud tells Fort McMurray News this service isn’t just a luxury but a necessity.

“I had concerns raised from the volunteer fire department. They have these radios and because of the poorreception, when there is a call out to a fire, for example, they call it out and residents living in Gregoire Lake Estates wouldn’t get the call out.”

Stroud says she’s been working on the project for quite some time, usually getting the same message for when the project could get started.

“They said the project scope is being combined with rural water and sewer servicing project so I was aware of this and then I knew I was getting a little bit of pushback, that they’re putting water and sewer in and there looking for a provider.”

According to Stroud, Telus is putting lines in the rural communities, to the surprise of administration, possibly being the provider the municipality has been looking for.

The line is expected to be put in next year possible giving the municipality a date to start the project. Stroud is hoping to see this come true but hasn’t gotten a definitive answer of whether or not they’re splitting the two projects.
Fort McMurray News

Sponsors

Advertise in Fort McMurray

Return to Fort McMurray News