Public and Catholic School Districts Honour Lives Of Lost Broncos With ‘Jersey Day’

Latest Fort McMurray News, find out what's happening in Fort Mac

Public and Catholic School Districts Honour Lives Of Lost Broncos With ‘Jersey Day’

Both the Fort McMurray Public School and Catholic School Districts are showing solidarity with the Humboldt Broncos.

On Thursday, all schools within the FMPSD and FMCSD will be taking part in a ‘Jersey Day’ in support of the junior hockey team that was involved in a tragic collision in Saskatchewan last Friday – that killed 15 people – including one Fort McMurray native.

All students are encouraged to wear their favourite team jersey or to wear green and gold colours as a tribute to those who were lost or affected.

FMPSD Deputy Superintendent Phil Meagher tells Fort McMurray News this was a collective idea by the board to pay respect in whatever way they could.

“This incident has really shaken the Canadian psyche,” Meagher said. “No matter who you are, you’ve been on a bus and most of us have been on one with a team. It could have been a basketball team, a soccer team – it doesn’t matter – people know what that life on the bus is like.”

Meagher adds that the public district will also be doing fundraisers – with half of the donations going to support the families and players affected.

He feels this tragedy has been felt all over the world.

“When I was listening to the updates, you get very emotional. That was the first thing that hit me as a parent. These kids were cut down in the prime of their lives and I cannot imagine the agony those parents are going through.”

In addition, flags at all municipal buildings are at half-mast until tonight – and the Saline Creek Bridge, as well as Shell Place Canopy, have been illuminated in green and gold.
Fort McMurray News

Sponsored links

Advertise in Fort McMurray

Return to Fort McMurray News