Series Highlighting Life Of Local Drag Queen Airs On APTN

Latest Fort McMurray News, find out what's happening in Fort Mac

Series Highlighting Life Of Local Drag Queen Airs On APTN

A gay business owner and member of the Mikisew Cree First Nation is sharing his story about life as a drag queen in oil country.

Massey Whiteknife is telling the tale of his double-life through the series – “Queen of the Oil Patch” – which is now airing on APTN.

The Fort McKay native – otherwise known as ‘Iceis Rain’ – came out at 18 years old and for over 20 years he’s been an advocate for anti-bullying and the LGBTQ+ movement.

Whiteknife tells Fort McMurray News it’s an amazing feeling seeing the show come to fruition.

“Words cannot describe how excited I am,” Whiteknife said. “It’s unreal actually. This is something I was working on for around two years and for it to now come to life and be on the air, it’s just phenomenal.”

The show highlights Whiteknife’s personal journey as a successful, openly gay business owner, living with split-personality in the RMWB.

While one half of him is embedded in his business and his daily life – his other half emboldens the drag queen alter-ego, ‘Iceis.’

Whiteknife feels it is a mixture of LGBTQ+ culture, with Aboriginal culture – while also showing life in the oil sands.

“Throughout the journey, I go back to my culture, I speak to the elders talking about two-spirited and do I want to transition? Because a lot of people know me as being gay but I’m two-spirited and I knew ever since I was a child that I was two-spirited.”

Whiteknife adds that he hopes people who deal with similar struggles find solace in seeing how he lives day-by-day.

You can catch the remainder of the ‘Queen of the Oil Patch’ on Tuesday nights at 10:30 p.m. on APTN.
Fort McMurray News

Sponsored links

Advertise in Fort McMurray

Return to Fort McMurray News