Social Worker Elizabeth Keating Running For UCP Nomination For Fort McMurray-Conklin

Latest Fort McMurray News, find out what's happening in Fort Mac

Social Worker Elizabeth Keating Running For UCP Nomination For Fort McMurray-Conklin

A third person is putting their name forward in an attempt to be the United Conservative Party nominee for the riding of Fort McMurray-Conklin.

Social worker Elizabeth Keating is looking to fill the vacant seat left by Brian Jean who decided to step away from politics last month. She will be joining Councillor Phil Meagher and Campaign Volunteer Laila Goodridge who’ve already announced their intentions to run.

Keating moved to Fort McMurray 13 years ago. She’s now a mother of two and also split time with her family volunteering across the community.

She tells Fort McMurray News she wants to a champion for the region.

“I’ve shared the challenges and the opportunities that our region has and I want to build a successful region and a prosperous Alberta that works for the families and businesses that I work for and I believe I can be a fresh strong voice for that.”

The biggest advantage she believes she can give to the riding is an MLA that listens to its constituents.

‘I want them to tell me what to bring to government, not what government to tell them what the issues are in the community.”

After hearing from residents, Keating believes there are seven key issues that need to be addressed – becoming a more fiscally responsible province, having a flexible health care system, pipelines, an education system that creates globally competitive students, being a more inclusive multicultural region, working with seniors, and helping Mtis and First Nation people.

“Residents wouldn’t run their homes the way our current government is running our province and that’s not okay.”

One issue that will impact the region will be the municipal government act and the impending new tax ratio.

Simply put, Keating believes the province is handcuffing the municipality.

“Jason Kenney promises a summer of repeal and I want to be a part of that. There has to be a better way – I want to join forces with the municipal government to work on these issues – we need a strong industry but not at the expense of our community.”
Fort McMurray News

Sponsored links

Advertise in Fort McMurray

Return to Fort McMurray News