“We’re tired of the fight”: Dunvegan Gardens Up For Sale

Latest Fort McMurray News, find out what's happening in Fort Mac

“We’re tired of the fight”: Dunvegan Gardens Up For Sale

After years of dispute with the RMWB and neighbors – a local business owner is putting his property on the market.

A ‘for sale’ sign went up outside Dunvegan Gardens on Friday – weeks after council voted against their application to change the boundary in Draper at a meeting last month.

That decision meant Dunvegan can’t have any farm animals or a retail store.

VP of Operations Brad Friesen tells Fort McMurray News he and his family are tired of the fight.

“To sell Dunvegan means that I’ve lost my market garden and I’ve lost the garden centre. To me – that’s me, my passion, my love.”

Since council’s May 15 decision, Friesen says his bedding plant sales have been normal – but not being able to sell giftware is hurting the overall operations.

He adds he’s spent $40,000 to try and rezone the area so he can have a retail store.

“And they turned it down. I mean to me, 15,000 signatures and the public’s overall support wanting us to stay is very disgraceful that those seven councilors would vote the way they did.”

If the property sells, Friesen says they will stay in town and continue contract landscaping – but if it remains on the market in six-months they may return to council.
Fort McMurray News

Sponsored links

Advertise in Fort McMurray

Return to Fort McMurray News