Two men nabbed by I.T.U.

Latest Fort McMurray News, find out what's happening in Fort Mac

Two men nabbed by I.T.U.

A couple of drivers are facing court appearances next month after

The Integrated Traffic Unit reports on Thursday an officer observed a vehicle traveling at 165 kilometres per hour in the 100 zone approximately 10 kilometres north of the city on Highway 63.

The officer was able to catch the vehicle and conduct a traffic stop. The 34 year old male drive was charged and faces an April 10th provincial court date.

Sheriff Collin DiPasquale says people are taking unnecessary risks.

"We’ve seen an increase in the speeds for sure since the weather’s started to get a bit nice and the roads have cleared up, and I guess people are trying to get out their frustrations that they’ve built up over the winter, but it’s absolutely crazy and dangerous,” says DiPasquale.

He says after the first traffic stop, the same officer observed another vehicle traveling at 182 kilometres per hour in the 100 zone.

Another traffic stop was conducted and the 24 year old male driver was also charged and faces an April 10th provincial court date.

DiPasquale says age doesn't seem to be a factor in speeding.
"It’s not about age or gender even. It’s males and females, anybody from 16 years old with a driver’s license up to, you know, we’ve had them in their 70s and 80s, so it seems to be pretty constant that it’s a little bit of everybody for whatever reason. It’s certainly not worth it,” says DiPasquale.

The ITU continues to remind drivers to be aware of their driving behaviour.
Fort McMurray News

Sponsored links

Advertise in Fort McMurray

Return to Fort McMurray News