UCP Candidate Laila Goodridge Wins Fort McMurray-Conklin Byelection

Latest Fort McMurray News, find out what's happening in Fort Mac

UCP Candidate Laila Goodridge Wins Fort McMurray-Conklin Byelection

The new MLA for the riding of Fort McMurray-Conklin has been chosen.

United Conservative Party candidate Laila Goodridge was voted in Thursday evening after earning 2,635 (65.89%) votes, according to Elections Alberta unofficial results.

NDP Candidate Jane Stroud came in second place receiving 1,181 votes. In third was Alberta Party Candidate Sid Fayad with 110 votes, followed by the Liberal Party’s Robin Le Fevre getting 44 votes, and Brian Deheer of the Green Party picking up 29.

Back in March, Goodridge ran on a campaign of defending the oil industry and ensuring we have fair education and health services in the community.

Upon hearing of the results, Fort McMurray-Conklin’s new MLA says she was overwhelmed by the community support.

“All my campaign volunteers for their overwhelming and tireless work,” Goodridge said. “This was not a one-person job, this was a full-team effort and I am so beyond grateful for their help and their assistance.”

Goodridge will be replacing the outgoing Brian Jean who resigned back in March.

While thanking her constituents, she adds she’s excited to continue ushering conservative values like her predecessor.

“Thank you for all of your hours, knocking on doors, calling supporters, here scrutineering and the emotional support. My volunteers have been fantastic. We’ve shown that Fort McMurray is still a strong conservative community.”

Meanwhile, a surprisingly upbeat Stroud says there’s still a chance she’ll run in the 2019 provincial election.
“I’ll have to wait and see – right now, I’ll be getting ready to go back to work at council.”

ImageNDP Candidate Jane Stroud speaking to her supporters // Jaryn Vechio – Harvard Broadcasting

Despite the loss, Stroud says they were able to accomplish a lot.

“It didn’t go the way we wanted but we did give them a real good race – this is a safe conservative seat and we showed them that their grip isn’t as tight even on their safest ridings.”

During her concession speech, Stroud did take the time to congratulate Goodridge, hoping she’ll ‘represent the interests of all in the constituency.’

Goodridge will at least be the MLA for 10 months as the next provincial election will take place on or before May 31, 2019.

— With files from Brandon Piper and Elizabeth Priest.
Fort McMurray News

Sponsored links

Advertise in Fort McMurray

Return to Fort McMurray News