Advice on boots please

What's happening in Fort McMurray Forum

Advice on boots please

New to the forum if this post is in the wrong place - sorry !

Can anyone advise me on what type of metal toecap boots are best for heavy equipment operating please ? Dumb question if your experienced but i'm not ! I start my 3 month HEO training in one weeks time and don't want to waste money on the wrong ones. Can anyone specify a few types from Canadian tire/Marks or other well known chain please?

Equipment will be dozer,back hoe, skid steer and loader etc. Going to be training in Alberta and hoping to get a job there too.

Hope this is a friendly forum :mrgreen: waiting for replies like don't bother .. oh your 48 yrs old nearly dead why bother.. well last roll of the dice for me, i work hard, i work out, 27 years of stationary plant experience, don't drink or do drugs and i show up for work every day.. must be something out there for me !
Pikey

Sponsored links

Advertise in Fort McMurray

Re: Advice on boots please

Unread postby Awesome Guy » Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:00 am

If you go to Mark's, they have signs indicating which boots are Suncor approved as the soles have to contain Neoprene in order to comply with their standards.

I was 47 when i hired on with Syncrude as an entry level employee. They were the best employer I have worked for. Good luck!
Awesome Guy

Unread postby Pikey » Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:42 am

Thanks for the advice!
Pikey

Unread postby Tropics » Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:51 pm

I found Work Authority in River City Centre was the place to get boots. They might not have quite as many brands but they tend to skip most of the poor quality stuff and what they have is all really nice stuff.

I would get composite, almost all sites allow them instead of steel and you are less likely to freeze your toes off.
Tropics

Unread postby Pikey » Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:39 pm

Thanks !
Had a bit of trouble with Suncor specification but guess that's due to the fact that I live in SE Ontario ! But useful to know. Got a pair of Metal toecapped boots from Marks.
They are general ones so room for thermal socks. Have decided to train in them (3 months) and then assuming I pass the course see what my employer wants.

I have no idea who my employer will be but has to be one that will tolerate 2 or 3 weeks on and then letting me go home for a week. Those jobs are tough to get for HEO's but i don't care what hut or hole i live in or where it is In Glorious Canada the more remote and desolte the fewer will want to work there the more i want to work there :)
all uphill battle now - totally determined fly out on Sunday ShxT or bust !
Pikey

Unread postby Pikey » Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:01 pm

Awesome Guy wrote:If you go to Mark's, they have signs indicating which boots are Suncor approved as the soles have to contain Neoprene in order to comply with their standards.

I was 47 when i hired on with Syncrude as an entry level employee. They were the best employer I have worked for. Good luck!

Syncrude ? Well went for it back in early February and travelled to Alberta to do my training ! Got 3 weeks left so looking for jobs now and guess what I saw ... Syncrude recruiting !

If you see this reply just wondering if you would happen to know if they would tolerate a fly in fly out HEO ? I would expect to pay for flights myself but I can't take my son out of High school in Ontario. .... hoping its 3 wks on 1 wk off and they have a new shiny 319 ready for me.....

Pikey
Pikey

Unread postby Awesome Guy » Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:50 am

To my knowledge, Syncrude nor Suncor have the fly in fly out program for HEO's. I think CNRL, Kearl Lake and Shell have it though. There are many contractors who work on the oil sands sites but not many offer the fly in program. Their cycle is usually 24 days on and four days off. Out of towners can usually request seven days off as four is not enough to fly home due to two days being used for travel. Good luck!
Awesome Guy

Return to Fort McMurray General Discussion