Cheapest 1 bedroom apartments in town?

What's happening in Fort McMurray Forum

Figured I'd post here as some of you may have done a lot of looking in the past.

It looks to me as if getting basement apartment would be best when it comes to cost because utilities are usually included, but they almost all have no stove, just a hot plate and toaster oven. Does anyone know which apartment building in town are the cheapest but also decent?

Or if anyone here has a place they will be renting in August, please let me know. Even a decent sized bachelor may be good. It would be for a quiet couple.
Rounder2k8

Sponsors

Advertise in Fort McMurray

Re: Cheapest 1 bedroom apartments in town?

Unread postby Yossarian » Thu May 08, 2014 8:54 am

Expect to pay $1800-$2200. A small 2 bedroom downtown can run $3000 plus. If you get really lucky you might find someone renting a small basement for $1500 a couple.
Yossarian

Unread postby MacDaddy » Thu May 08, 2014 2:53 pm

Also keep in mind that most basement apartments are not legal so they will be demanding cash, won't allow you to receive mail and will not give rent receipts. That means you will not officially live here which can cause numerous problems.
Three that immediately come to mind are:
1) Some jobs here that require you to be a resident of the area. Hard to prove when you are invisible.
2) You will have no documentation to support tax deductions such as rent paid or the northern Living Allowance.
3) You will almost certainly have no parking offered. This will have you with the constant worry of finding a spot on the street and learning about the many parking bylaws in town (usually at $120 for each one you violate).
MacDaddy

Unread postby Yossarian » Thu May 08, 2014 3:55 pm

MacDaddy wrote:Also keep in mind that most basement apartments are not legal so they will be demanding cash, won't allow you to receive mail and will not give rent receipts. That means you will not officially live here which can cause numerous problems.

Man you've had some mean landlords.
Yossarian

Unread postby Rounder2k8 » Thu May 08, 2014 5:39 pm

Yeah, thanks guys. It looks like there are some places for around $1600, with utilities not included. Any idea what the average person in an apartment building is paying for electricity each month?
Rounder2k8

Unread postby The Yeti » Thu May 08, 2014 7:41 pm

We're in an apartment and for two of us the power bills are about $100/month. It used to be less but the administration and transmission fees have almost doubled recently.
The Yeti

Unread postby MacDaddy » Fri May 09, 2014 6:49 am

Yossarian wrote:
MacDaddy wrote:Also keep in mind that most basement apartments are not legal so they will be demanding cash, won't allow you to receive mail and will not give rent receipts. That means you will not officially live here which can cause numerous problems.

Man you've had some mean landlords.

Life as a grad student. You basically get a little bit of Fort McMurray style housing pop up around most major Universities.
MacDaddy

Unread postby Petrossr » Mon May 12, 2014 9:20 pm

We're downtown in 1 bedroom apt - power runs from about 80 in summer to 130 in winter. I'm thinking that reflects the needs for lights more time in the winter?
Petrossr

Unread postby MacDaddy » Wed May 14, 2014 3:26 pm

I can think of two things for that big jump. First would be if you are using electric heat in any way. That has always been a big deal breaker for me when looking for housing in the past. the other would be if you have a vehicle that you are plugging in over the winter months. You are looking at at least 1KW to keep your engine warm.
MacDaddy

Unread postby Petrossr » Sun May 25, 2014 4:50 pm

No electric heat, that is provided baseboard hotwater; winter block heater maybe some but it isn't switched on until about 6 hours before we need to use vehicle, which is once or twice a week. I still put it down to only 6 hours of daylight in winter vs 18 in summer. Winter stove oven probably used more for meals while summer meals tend to be ones that don't require oven.
Petrossr

Next

Return to Fort McMurray General Discussion