Drinking tap water in Fort McMurray

What's happening in Fort McMurray Forum

Hi,

I know there are many gov sources stating that tap water from Fort McMurray is 100% safe (i.e. http://www.woodbuffalo.ab.ca/living/Ser ... stions.htm)

What's your experience/opinion about this?

I've been drinking tap water for the last 3 years without issues but now my wife is concerned after some comments from other people.
angelmdz

Sponsors

Advertise in Fort McMurray

Re: Drinking tap water in Fort McMurray

Unread postby Yossarian » Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:46 pm

Unlike bottled water it is thoroughly regulated and tested. If you are thinking of buying water from one of the grocery stores or Culligan where do you think they get their water from? The tap. They just run it through a filter (self regulated for testing and changing) and into a bottle. I do recommend pouring the city water into a jug for 20 minutes before drinking to let the chlorine smell dissipate. Or run from a fridge dispenser or faucet brita for the same effect. Canadian tap water is some of the most well regulated and controlled in the world.
Yossarian

Re: Drinking tap water in Fort McMurray

Unread postby MacDaddy » Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:39 pm

I can offer a few things on drinking water. First off is the water in town is high in mineral content (hard water). You may want to invest in a water softener if you want to extend the life of your water heating appliances. Particularly if you have an on demand hot water heater. Hard water can be brutal on these types of units.

As for testing the water, yes they pass the tests they have to send in. If you look up test results you will find they only regularly test for E. coli and Coliform bacteria. There are also lots and lots of things in the water that are never tested for. There are many different drug compounds being detected in our waterways because sewage treatment plants do not remove them.

For me, I use a reverse osmosis system in my home for drinking water and only drink bottled water from companies that use municipal water and further filter it. I do not use bottled spring water as they actually have fewer quality standards than most municipal systems.
MacDaddy

Return to Fort McMurray General Discussion