Mac Island Fort McMurray to expand

What's happening in Fort McMurray Forum

Mac Island Fort McMurray is getting two new sports stadiums soon.

MacDonald Island Park says it'll be announcing plans for both a new multi-purpose outdoor stadium and baseball stadium on Friday.

The announcement will also include plans for a new shared space centre in Fort Mac.

Three proposals will be unveiled, and it'll be followed up with three community feedback sessions to get local input.

The announcement is at 8 am on Friday at Mac Island Fort McMurray.

Details about the island project can be found here
betsi

Sponsors

Advertise in Fort McMurray

Re: Mac Island to expand

Unread postby pablo » Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:27 pm

A picture of the proposed new stadiums for Mac Island Fort McMurray
McIsland Stadium.jpg
New Stadium
McIsland Stadium.jpg (46.68 KiB) Viewed 2011 times

Also Mac Island COO Tim Reid says they're in negotiations to bring a semi-professional baseball team to Fort McMurray at the new stadium. Sources suggesting the independent North American league, which is one of the best Indy leagues and has Edmonton and Calgary teams

McIsland Future Expansion.jpg
McIsland Future Expansion.jpg (61.76 KiB) Viewed 2011 times
pablo

Unread postby pablo » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:23 am

Pages from miCommunity miFuture Presentation map.jpg
Pages from miCommunity miFuture Presentation map.jpg (140.25 KiB) Viewed 1955 times

Pages from miCommunity miFuture Presentation-2 aerial view.jpg
Pages from miCommunity miFuture Presentation-2 aerial view.jpg (89.89 KiB) Viewed 1955 times

miCommunity miFuture 2 e.jpg
miCommunity miFuture 2 e.jpg (225.63 KiB) Viewed 1955 times

Some more pictures of the plans for the expansion
pablo

Unread postby justsomeguy » Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:54 pm

While this looks cool I think we need a rec centre in Timberlea where the majority of the population is first. Even with the bridges to be built over the next few years getting to Mac Island is a chore.
justsomeguy

Unread postby mcmurrian » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:45 am

justsomeguy wrote:While this looks cool I think we need a rec centre in Timberlea where the majority of the population is first. Even with the bridges to be built over the next few years getting to Mac Island is a chore.

Check this thread out New community centre in Eagle Ridge

Also MacDonald Island Park is going to build a state-of-the-art indoor rock climbing wall! Can't wait to scale that.
Construction is set to commence later this month.
Get your latest Fort McMurray News
mcmurrian
Site Admin

Unread postby budwuflbag » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:40 am

justsomeguy wrote:While this looks cool I think we need a rec centre in Timberlea where the majority of the population is first. Even with the bridges to be built over the next few years getting to Mac Island is a chore.

They're building for future population numbers, in 20 years Timberlea may not be the population centre of this city. Mac Island is a good central location.
budwuflbag

Unread postby betsi » Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:21 pm

budwuflbag wrote:

They're building for future population numbers, in 20 years Timberlea may not be the population centre of this city. Mac Island is a good central location.

Right now Thickwood/Timberlea contain about 50k people, 60% of the city's population.
Looking at the future development plans the new area north of Timberlea is going to contain another 25k-30k and afterwards an area west of Thickwood, Timberlea and Parson's Creek will contain about 50k-60k more.
So Timberlea will actually be the centre of the north suburbs :)

Right now about 13k people live in downtown and it contains all services main shops. So people have to travel across the river all the time.
There is not much space left in downtown, so they will have to demolish old building and build high rises where people actually would want to live to increase the population. I highly doubt it will be a fast process.

The reason why they focus on downtown so much is because all the counsellors and mayor live there.

I'd actually prefer if they kind of abandoned downtown and build out a new "city centre" north of the bridge on the plane west of Timberlea, Thickwood
betsi

Unread postby budwuflbag » Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:53 pm

betsi wrote:
budwuflbag wrote:

Right now Thickwood/Timberlea contain about 50k people, 60% of the city's population.
Looking at the future development plans the new area north of Timberlea is going to contain another 25k-30k and afterwards an area west of Thickwood, Timberlea and Parson's Creek will contain about 50k-60k more.
So Timberlea will actually be the centre of the north suburbs :)

Right now about 13k people live in downtown and it contains all services main shops. So people have to travel across the river all the time.
There is not much space left in downtown, so they will have to demolish old building and build high rises where people actually would want to live to increase the population. I highly doubt it will be a fast process.

The reason why they focus on downtown so much is because all the counsellors and mayor live there.

I'd actually prefer if they kind of abandoned downtown and build out a new "city centre" north of the bridge on the plane west of Timberlea, Thickwood

They're also planning new suburbs to the south and west, not sure of the projected numbers but Saline Creek between the airport and Draper is supposed to be big. They do need to increase population density downtown but it's not because of who lives there, it's more about who will live there in the future.

I am not against more commercial development in the north end, in fact I think this town needs a new indoor shopping mall and timberlea might be a good location. But when it comes to Mac Island I think it's well situated for a main Sports and Rec complex.
budwuflbag

Unread postby betsi » Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:44 pm

Yes those will be a bit smaller under 10k I believe. There are also plans to expand east of the city, have a new bridge across Clearwater River, and have a big sub division there, similar to Abasand at first but the size of Thickwood later.

As for the mall, there will none in Timberlea. They have lands for commercial development near Petro Canada gas station in Stone Creek, but it might be another grocery store and outdoors plaza similar to the one in Thickwood.
betsi

Unread postby justsomeguy » Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:26 pm

If you look at the plans for Parsons Creek north of Stone Creek you will see Phase II or III will have significant land for commercial.....that area is not suitable for residential development. If they actually do go ahead and follow the original concept it will be a nice place to live.
justsomeguy

Return to Fort McMurray General Discussion