Municipality dumping on residential properties

What's happening in Fort McMurray Forum

Couple more pictures of the municipality dumping the snow, salt and sand from the residential streets on residential properties. Not just blading to the curb. Since when did this become acceptable? Guess this is their version of "communities in bloom, winter version". Thanks Matt, whoever you are for tweeting the pics.

https://twitter.com/hashtag/ymm?src=hash
icu

Sponsors

Advertise in Fort McMurray

Re: Municipality dumping on residential properties

Unread postby Petrossr » Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:21 pm

Since the roadway extends several feet in from the curb, it is probably public property.
Petrossr

Unread postby MacDaddy » Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:13 am

I find with the municipality you get nowhere unless you are one of the property developers who are in good with a council member. Matt will probably find he is either ignored, lied to. The only way to effectively communicate with our current municipal group is through a lawyer with a nasty reputation.

Now if this was summertime I would suggest you take up golf as you can usually find a large percentage of the municipal management team on the links for their "off site" meetings.
MacDaddy

Unread postby pamplemousse » Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:48 am

I seriously do not understand why people are making such a fuss over some snow being dumped on their lawn. It's JUST SNOW. Who cares? Get over it....
pamplemousse

Unread postby Yossarian » Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:20 am

pamplemousse wrote:I seriously do not understand why people are making such a fuss over some snow being dumped on their lawn. It's JUST SNOW. Who cares? Get over it....

The snow is full of salt and when it melts it kills all of the grass under it and your lawn for the summer. You may not care as someone who lives in a room in a trailer but others of us that put time and effort into our houses do.
Yossarian

Unread postby pamplemousse » Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:30 pm

No salt in the snow... they don't sprinkle salt on residential roads. It takes about three days to grow new grass. Again - get over it.

And for the record, I live in a house. Congratulations for your utterly mature response.
pamplemousse

Unread postby Yossarian » Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:17 pm

Ok so you rent a room in a house, good for you. There is salt in the sand that is spread in the city (not huge amounts) but piles of it kill grass. It kills the grass because, it in essence, poisons the soil. Learn some basic science before going online and making an ass of yourself. And if you are a creationist go reread your bible as it talks about poisoning the lands with salt there as well. So the owners have to wait years for saline levels to lower so they can reseed or they need to rip their lawn up, lay down knew top soil and sod.
Yossarian

Unread postby MacDaddy » Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:09 pm

The problem with the rebuttal from the municipality is that they are just parroting what the deicer sales rep has provided to make the sale. Lines like "it turns brown for three days then comes back green" is just plain wrong. Just think about all that nice brown grass that lines Confederation Way and Thickwood Blvd all summer. That is what you will get with those folks with large mounds of treated road snow.
Here is a short report on the impact of deicers.
http://www.ossian.com/pdf/IowaTurfStudy-full.pdf

I think we must have another fly in/out expert telling us how to manage our snow in town and this person is not listening to the people here who actually know how to manage things. I get the impression they came from a place like southern Ontario where they rely on melting everything instead of plowing. Now we are stuck with this soft snowy mess until they get around to plowing. They should have stuck with the old system and we would have a nice layer of compacted ice and snow to drive on. I apologize to those who drive those little rice rockets but such a vehicle is a very poor choice for life in northern Alberta.
MacDaddy

Unread postby icu » Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:34 pm

The absolute stupidity of the snow dump - this was not snow plowing, this was snow dumping. Also, if the right of way the city has on your property is 1.5m (just under 5 feet) from the back edge of the sidewalk up your lawn,as was stated at the Dec 16 council meeting, most of the dumping exceeded that - I know, I measured and mine was just over 10 feet. And many of the dump sites exceeded that.

Almost 25 years here and never saw anything like this.

Expect when street maintenance signs go up again to have people trying to park on or in front of their lawns so they won't get "plowed" or "dumped" on. Can't blame them I guess.

Here are some examples of how ridiculous it was. The houses in pics 7 and 8 are right across the street from each other. One got no dumping, the other all the dump from that section of the roadway, which was quite a bit, and spilled over onto the sidewalk.

Last edited by icu on Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
icu

Unread postby icu » Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:06 am

Also, here are the the provincial government guidelines for snow disposal outlining environmental concerns. This was not freshly fallen snow that was dumped on residential properties.

http://environment.gov.ab.ca/info/library/5871.pdf
icu

Next

Return to Fort McMurray General Discussion