New Businesses needed in fort mcmurray?

What's happening in Fort McMurray Forum

Re: New Businesses needed in fort mcmurray?

I bet these companies also look at the quality of workforce that is available in this town. Even the much beloved Costco would be unpleasant if you staffed it with they motley crew you find running our Canadian Tire and Walmart. With our real estate market as it is I see no changes unless we get a Costco work camp with fly in/out cashier and warehouse positions. (Note to Ontario residents, this is sarcasm. Please don't start flooding this form with questions about our fly in/out retail sales positions.)
MacDaddy

Sponsored links

Advertise in Fort McMurray

Unread postby Petrossr » Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:40 pm

"There is not much chance of getting a Costco as there is not near enough population base to support one. They require 200K+ for direct and surrounding population."

Don't think that pop figure is correct. Back home in NB a Costco was opened in Fredericton, population of 37,000. And there is one in Saint John, only an hour or so away and one in Moncton, less
than 2 hours away from Fredericton.
Petrossr

Unread postby pamplemousse » Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:11 am

Costco would be terrible in Fort McMurray -- who whould work there?? Look at the quality of Fort McMurray WalMart as compared to Edmonton or Calgary stores... it's a disgrace.
pamplemousse

Unread postby Duffer » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:55 am

pamplemousse wrote:Costco would be terrible in Fort McMurray -- who whould work there?? Look at the quality of Fort McMurray WalMart as compared to Edmonton or Calgary stores... it's a disgrace.

A poorly staffed Costco would be better than no Costco at all. As far as Walmart goes; where would you buy your crap if we didn't have a poorly staffed store?
Duffer

Unread postby The Goat » Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:12 pm

Haven't been to Walmart in probably 6 years and as for Costco its over rated as well. I would like internet provider like Tek Savvy. More Restaurants, not another BP like they building in Timberlea. A parcel locker would be great it is so hard to pick up packages in this town working shift.
The Goat

Unread postby Yossarian » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:08 am

There were serious talks with Costco setting up south of town and sharing parking with an oilsands company there. They'd do bus transfers from the spot. That was 3 years ago. It died. The population numbers that big box stores use are for a region not a city. Thus the Fredericton example above. If you go to Lethbridge you'd see that they have nearly every major retailer present despite being smaller than Fort Mac. We don't have a ton of satellite population to draw on.
Yossarian

Unread postby MacDaddy » Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:13 pm

I still say they want to avoid having to staff the location with Fort McMurray's walking dead like some of our other retail operations.
MacDaddy

Unread postby snowboarder1019 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:53 pm

who whould work there?? Look at the quality of Fort McMurray WalMart as compared to Edmonton or Calgary stores...

From what I've heard about Costcos I'm not really buying it, apparently they treat their employees like they actually are worth something to the company 18-20$ /h plus benefits attract capable adults in other stores like Edmonton. I have no doubt they would have major turnover, that's just the cost of doing business, look at Staples one of the most profitable in the world revenue ~25M , Sport Check 15M. A Costco with money like that could pay enough to attract workers and have them stay with the company, it's just a matter if they are willing or not.
snowboarder1019

Unread postby MacDaddy » Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:41 am

Why bother paying more to attract good employees when you can make so much more just selling crap with pathetic customer service?
MacDaddy

Previous

Return to Fort McMurray General Discussion