New water meters

What's happening in Fort McMurray Forum

New water meters

So, now that we ab back in town I see that the municipality wants us to have our water meters upgraded. I see the push to convert with terms like "free upgrade" and the promise that they will be able to warn us that our toilet is leaking etc. Then they go on to say that if we don't we will have our water bill estimated that could be inaccurate. Am I to assume that our current unit that is wired to our electric meter is no longer working? This is great news! I think I will accept the estimated bills and put together a water driven generator to cut down on my electric bills.
MacDaddy

Sponsored links

Advertise in Fort McMurray

Re: New water meters

Unread postby Yossarian » Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:52 am

The wired meters require that a person be their physically to take the reading. That is only done once or twice a year at most. So all of your bills are estimates. When they do do the reading you might get a huge bill suddenly if you are a large consumer or a free one if you use much lower volumes. The new meters allow for someone to drive by your house to do the actual reading, so your bills will be accurate all of the time and not just a guess.
Yossarian

Unread postby purpleturtle » Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:25 am

A few years back we had someone come in and attach a wire from our meter inside to our power meter outside and they completely removed our outside water meter. Is this what they are doing again? Do I still need another upgrade? I guess I should call the City, I just figure if it is THAT mandatory, they (the City) would be contacting me to set up a time to have it done.
purpleturtle

Unread postby MacDaddy » Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:05 am

I think if the municipality really wants people to get converted they should provide a deadline date then introduce a cost recovery fee (time, vehicle mileage, etc) to have someone visit the delinquent homes monthly to manually read the meters.
MacDaddy

Unread postby Misterbill » Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:28 pm

I understand that the municipality currently pays the electrical company to collect water meter readings when they read our electric meters. The new water meter allows the municipality to wirelessly gather the data themselves in drive by fashion and not having to pay a 3rd party for readings. At a cost to whom?
Misterbill

Unread postby MacDaddy » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:09 am

The smart way to collect the data would be to slap the readers on the garbage trucks. Just let them record readings while going about their business as before. In reality, I expect some little empire builder at the municipality has plans to buy a fleet of vehicles and hire dedicated drivers to cruse around the neighbourhoods.
MacDaddy

Return to Fort McMurray General Discussion