Thickwood Interchange/Athabasca River Bridge Updates

What's happening in Fort McMurray Forum

Re: Thickwood Interchange/Athabasca River Bridge Updates

Cthulhu wrote:Does anyone else feel there will be issues with the approach onto Thickwood blvd?

As you exit highway 63, all is well until the curve towards the overpass... theres little to no camber to the road! And across a small ditch, is opposing traffic, and, well, a little further quite a drop.. I'm not thinking the drop will be an issue, but guaranteed some hotshots going to take that too fast and end up the next talk of fortmc.. lol..

Didn't take the Thickwood exit but driving north was much better today. Since cars don't have to drive around the interchange the speed of the flow increased.
Also it was nice not waiting at the lights.
betsi

Sponsored links

Advertise in Fort McMurray

Unread postby rp1986 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:35 pm

It's also Sunday, so traffic going north is fairly smooth flowing to begin with. :roll:
rp1986

Unread postby betsi » Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:04 pm

rp1986 wrote:It's also Sunday, so traffic going north is fairly smooth flowing to begin with. :roll:

Sunday was probably a major contributing factor ;)

Next week will be a real test.
betsi

Unread postby rp1986 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:21 pm

I'm interested to see how useless the bus lane proves.
rp1986

Unread postby BCGirl » Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:53 am

The bus lanes aren't supposed to ease regular traffic, they are only to speed up the bus traffic. They are trying to encourage people to take the bus.
BCGirl

Unread postby rp1986 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:01 pm

Yes, and encouraging people to take the bus will do what? Say it with me... Eeee---eee---eeeeeeaaaase traffic.

Traffic with the new third lane on it's own was great. Now with the dedicated bus lane it's just gone to absolute shit. More so than it was before.
rp1986

Unread postby BCGirl » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:35 pm

rp1986 wrote:Yes, and encouraging people to take the bus will do what? Say it with me... Eeee---eee---eeeeeeaaaase traffic.

That would require people taking the bus........ So no it will not ease traffic, but it will make it much nicer for those who do take the bus!
BCGirl

Unread postby rp1986 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:05 pm

Yet a successful encouragement, will result in people taking the bus, but I see what you're saying.

Personally I don't care if the bus is late. I'm not under Syncrudes ridiculous STRIPES program.

Maybe you've just smoked yourself silly :)
rp1986

Unread postby filbert » Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:18 pm

Cthulhu wrote:Does anyone else feel there will be issues with the approach onto Thickwood blvd?

As you exit highway 63, all is well until the curve towards the overpass... theres little to no camber to the road! And across a small ditch, is opposing traffic, and, well, a little further quite a drop.. I'm not thinking the drop will be an issue, but guaranteed some hotshots going to take that too fast and end up the next talk of fortmc.. lol..

Great board btw!

I am assuming you are talking about the exit ramp off Highway 63 northbound that you take to up Thickwood. You are correct there is no "camber" in the road. Camber refers to an arched profile. However the roadway is "super-elevated" around the curve with the lefthand edge raised 6% higher than the righthand edge. So ... drive the speed limit and you will stay on the road. There are standards on how roadways are built.
filbert

Unread postby rp1986 » Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:49 pm

I think another oversight was coming onto Thickwood Boulevard from 63 southbound, as well.

The angle in which you are expected to suddenly turn onto this lane is likely to cause a few problems for some.
rp1986

PreviousNext

Return to Fort McMurray General Discussion