What's that smell????

What's happening in Fort McMurray Forum

What's that smell????

Okay, is it me, or does anybody else smell that kind of "dump smell" in the air here in Thickwood and Timberlea. My husband says it is from the oil mines. To me, it smells like the garbage dump. It is disgusting! If it is coming from the oil mines, then we are really in Fort McMoney, Oilberta and that is the smell of money (kaching!)
fmacgal

Sponsored links

Advertise in Fort McMurray

Re: What's that smell????

Unread postby rp1986 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:24 am

Smells like mercaptan, which is an additive put into natural gas to alert you to it in case of a leak!
rp1986

Unread postby dolphin » Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:24 am

you'll get used to it :mrgreen: There are three main smells, the mercaptan "dump" smell, a diesel smell, and what I call "litter box" (amonia)

I don't think there is an industrial town in the world that doesn't have smells once in a while, it is the price we are paying for having jobs. It is safe though, there is monitoring all over and they aren't finding anything in the air that would harm us physically. However, as far as wellness is concerned it may still be harming our health because we aren't happy, and we may not be outside exercising in the smell . All the air data is on the WBEA website. The new air quality index uses this data.
dolphin

Unread postby nikster11 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:51 am

Just one more reason to live south of the bridge.

The safe and glamourous Timberlea doesn't seem so safe and glamorous anymore.
nikster11

Unread postby palmseed » Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:46 am

The sewage hasn't been pumped into the river recently as the pumping engineers are on holidays. Sewage is now overflowing and that's where the smell is from.
palmseed

Unread postby fmacgal » Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:55 am

I know the oil smell that we get especially up here in Thickwood/Timberlea. It comes and goes. But this smell was really rancid, like I say, sewage it could be, kinda dumpy smelling. Yesterday it was REALLY strong. Today it is not so bad. Can't smell it actually. I long for the smell of spring buds!
fmacgal

Unread postby rp1986 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:17 am

dolphin wrote:you'll get used to it :mrgreen: There are three main smells, the mercaptan "dump" smell

And what does mercaptan have to do with the dump?
rp1986

Return to Fort McMurray General Discussion