4th class power engineer or operator job in Fort Mac?

What is the best place to work in Fort McMurray? Share your experiences.

Re: 4th class power engineer or operator job in Fort Mac?

http://fortmcmurray.kijiji.ca/c-real-es ... Z486739465
Look at this room, or something like this, do you think it is bad as you guys described?
I have done a lot of search, so I have my own view.
FortMacan

Sponsors

Advertise in Fort McMurray

Unread postby Tropics » Wed May 22, 2013 11:55 am

Why start a thread and ask all of these questions if you have your own view and don't actually want or care about what other people might tell you or differing opinions?

It seems you just want a bunch of "yes men" to say "great idea, you are so smart and will be rich in no time!"

If you have your own view and you think it is a great idea then just do it.
Tropics

Unread postby FortMacan » Wed May 22, 2013 12:37 pm

Tropics wrote:Why start a thread and ask all of these questions if you have your own view and don't actually want or care about what other people might tell you or differing opinions?
It seems you just want a bunch of "yes men" to say "great idea, you are so smart and will be rich in no time!"
If you have your own view and you think it is a great idea then just do it.

8-) Why? I tell you why. I will be arriving in Fort Mac in a week and I will stay there for at least a few months, to see if I can find a job in my area, or balance my spending with a suriving job. Also I wonder if someone knowing my area could give me some tips of how to get a job here.
From what I know, the employers operating in the area would prefer locals, right? That's why I pay the double rent (comaring to Calgary/Edmonton) to live there.
Though you and the other guy discourage me somehow with negative info., I will still go to try. Three-month expensive living even without income is not a big deal, right? I would like to make $15/h, just to cover living cost. I don't need to make more than the cost, since I must concentrate on finding my desired job. While making some money to cover the cost, I will feel more secure and balanced, unlike that my saving is reducing day by day.
Whatever, I am glad this topic has become one of most replies in the forum which I just found out the day I posted this topic.
Anyway, thanks for participating. :lol:
FortMacan

Unread postby MacDaddy » Wed May 22, 2013 8:50 pm

FortMacan wrote: I searched this forum but couldn't useful info. Anyone can please give any advice, or have same plan?
Let's share the thoughts and make new friends step by step. :lol:

Well my friend, you asked for advice, you got it from people who actually live here. It looks like you automatically discount information that doesn't support your hypothesis so I am afraid we can't help you further. For others in a similar position I should point out that the employers don't "prefer" people in Fort McMurray for operator type positions. It is that many of them will not provide camp accommodations (translation, you aren't that special so we are not going to pay to feed and house you). They will hire people from out of town. In fact they will pay for you to come in for an interview and even pay moving costs if they give you the job.

Here a section from a Suncor Power Engineer job add. http://www.suncor.com/en/careers/4061.a ... 72&sid=238
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

Please note this is not a Fly in Fly out or camp position
Relocation is provided

Oh, and that basement apartment looks really wonderful, hopefully there is a second bedroom or at the very least the guy doesn't snore or hog the covers!
MacDaddy

Unread postby FortMacan » Thu May 23, 2013 8:31 am

MacDaddy wrote:。。。 In fact they will pay for you to come in for an interview and even pay moving costs if they give you the job.
Oh, and that basement apartment looks really wonderful, hopefully there is a second bedroom or at the very least the guy doesn't snore or hog the covers!

In fact,that's at least not true for new graduates without previous related experience. All of those who I know went to interview covered the trip cost on their own, no matter they have 4th class or 3rd class tickets. The companies only reimburse them if they are employed.
Guess what? I already get a good bedroom reserved in downtown for around $1000. It is in a 2nd floor apartment I am going to share with only another guy. We both have separate bathrooms. I can only say I am lucky at this stage for finding a room. Next, I will see if the luck accompanies me for job finding. :lol:
FortMacan

Unread postby Tropics » Thu May 23, 2013 9:00 am

All that can be said is good luck.

You are not the first person to move to fort mac and try to get established when you arrive. Some make it,some don't. You might be one of the ones that do.
Tropics

Unread postby FortMacan » Thu May 23, 2013 11:55 am

Thanks, I am not quite sure about my future, but I must give it a try, instead of just hearing or reading what the situation would be.
FortMacan

Unread postby 1crazylady » Fri May 24, 2013 9:41 am

Syncrude is having a recruitment fair this weekend. Check the Today paper for details. Best of luck to you. No point in giving any more advice than that given your replies to everyone else.
1crazylady

Unread postby FortMacan » Fri May 24, 2013 10:45 am

1crazylady wrote:Syncrude is having a recruitment fair this weekend. Check the Today paper for details. Best of luck to you. No point in giving any more advice than that given your replies to everyone else.

Thanks for the 1st positive feedback in this topic. That's one of the reasons I want to live in Fort Mac. I registered and applied to almost all of the big companies but received nothing. And I heard there would be some fairs like this all year around. And the reason that this kind of fairs held in Fort Mac, is local people are more welcome than outsiders. If not, why do they do the fairs in remote Fort Mac, a small town of less than 100,000 people, most of who already have a job? I guess the fairs are also held in Edmonton or Calgary. :!:
FortMacan

Unread postby jeffmeloche » Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:44 am

MacDaddy,

It seems to me that you have a problem with people that go to post secondary education. To give you a little heads up, to operate the different machines required to power the plants, you need to be certified. Don't cry. You can go back for 8 months too. Although that won't get you anything. You need to go back to school for at least three years. So don't worry about what you think that people that come out of school think. We are the smart ones. not because we went to school, but because we know how the system works. you say that you need at least $400 a day to live in Fort Mac. Well even a fourth class engineer could make that right out of school. And to let you know that they are not P Eng's. And it is four years that you need to work to before you can write your exam. Do some research before you try to put somebody down for asking a simple question. I read that guy's comments and he was just asking if he should move there or not. He isn't looking of your job. That is why he went back to school.
jeffmeloche

PreviousNext

Return to Jobs