4th class power engineer or operator job in Fort Mac?

What is the best place to work in Fort McMurray? Share your experiences.

Re: 4th class power engineer or operator job in Fort Mac?

I didn't see this thread back in May, I'm surprised by how negative the responses were.

People it isn't really so difficult to get started in FM, especially for a singleton. Everyday people pack up and move to Toronto or Vancouver without jobs so why not Fort McMurray? Does it make us feel better to think it is so tough here? It isn't so exceptional to move to FM and find a job. Dragging a family of six along would be stupid, but as a couple or singlton without pets or kids it is fine. That is the kind of stuff Canadians do, we relocate. Staying in places were there is no work is stupid and FortMacan is the smart one taking a chance.

FortMacan please let us know how things went. You might want to get into a Keyano program and get onto site through the co-op program. I know someone who did it that way. His wife found a job but he didn't, until he went through the Keyano co-op route. The first job is hard to get because you don't have much of a resume yet. I remember those days, they sucked. You'll get there keep going. Keyano has lots of programs to supplement what you have already completed.
dolphin

Sponsored links

Advertise in Fort McMurray

Unread postby MacDaddy » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:55 am

jeffmeloche wrote:MacDaddy,

It seems to me that you have a problem with people that go to post secondary education. To give you a little heads up, to operate the different machines required to power the plants, you need to be certified. Don't cry. You can go back for 8 months too. Although that won't get you anything. You need to go back to school for at least three years. So don't worry about what you think that people that come out of school think. We are the smart ones. not because we went to school, but because we know how the system works. you say that you need at least $400 a day to live in Fort Mac. Well even a fourth class engineer could make that right out of school. And to let you know that they are not P Eng's. And it is four years that you need to work to before you can write your exam. Do some research before you try to put somebody down for asking a simple question. I read that guy's comments and he was just asking if he should move there or not. He isn't looking of your job. That is why he went back to school.

Thank you for an excellent example of the type of arrogant student I was referring to. I see you have reading comprehension issues as amongst other points I never said you needed $400 a day to live in this town. I never stated that operating engineers were P Eng's, nor did I say how many years someone with a university degree in engineering had to work in their field to apply for their PEng.

While a little eight month certificate is technically post secondary education because you actually finished high school first you ego is a little over inflated for what you have achieved. You seem refer to your "post secondary" education as somewhat equivalent to university degrees. As someone who holds several graduate degrees I can tell you that you don't even come close.

You missed the entire point what I was trying to get across which was to tell someone fresh out of school that he had lots to learn in his field and his education has only provided him with the tools to learn what he needs to do in his career field. An employer will view him as an investment that they need to spend time and money training before becomes a useful employee. This is why you didn't get that job as plant manager when you got your eight month certificate. The message was to be humble and be appreciative of what the experienced individuals in your field can teach you. That first job out of school you are a burden, not an asset to your employer until you are trained to do the job. This is how life works, from the skilled trades and their apprentice programs to medical doctors and their internships and residency placements.
MacDaddy

Unread postby yovapower » Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:49 pm

Hey FortMacan
Did you managed to find employment with your ticket? How long did it take?
I'm thinking of doing the same thing you're doing(or did)
I have the 4th class ticket and I'm having no luck getting calls due to inexperience.
Hope everything worked out for ya...
yovapower

Unread postby Living the dream » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:35 pm

yovapower wrote:Hey FortMacan
Did you managed to find employment with your ticket? How long did it take?
I'm thinking of doing the same thing you're doing(or did)
I have the 4th class ticket and I'm having no luck getting calls due to inexperience.
Hope everything worked out for ya...

I have 9 years of experience in a refinery in California. I got my 4th class PE cert in Canada. I still can't get calls back. Its tough!
Living the dream

Unread postby Yossarian » Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:18 pm

You need your 3rd class PE. 4th's are a dime a dozen (because they are so easy to acquire) and really don't amount to much for site as you are still very limited in what you can do. Get your 3 and you'll see interest. Get your 2 or 1 and you can pick your job. With your 1 you can pretty much go anywhere in the world.
Yossarian

Previous

Return to Jobs