4th class power engineer or operator job in Fort Mac?

What is the best place to work in Fort McMurray? Share your experiences.

4th class power engineer or operator job in Fort Mac?

I just finished an certificate program of process operations in a south Alberta college and got a 4th class power engineer.
After sending lots of application in last few months, with barely any meaningful response, I am considering of moving to Fort Mac in a couple of weeks, renting a room, and looking for a related job while living there. At the same time I have to do some casual job to cover my cost, estimated to be over $1500 a month.
I searched this forum but couldn't useful info. Anyone can please give any advice, or have same plan?
Let's share the thoughts and make new friends step by step. :lol:
Last edited by FortMacan on Fri May 24, 2013 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
FortMacan

Sponsored links

Advertise in Fort McMurray

Re: 4th class power engineer or operator job in Fort Mac?

Unread postby MacDaddy » Sun May 19, 2013 11:29 am

MacDaddy

Unread postby FortMacan » Sun May 19, 2013 1:44 pm

Thanks, I know how to search pe jobs by google or other career site, but it turned out so far that I barely get any positive reply. Wondering if my resume is not competitive or the job market for this profession is not good now. That's why I am going to move to Fort Mac and hope to get more interview, assuming those companies operating there would like to pick a local person for interview or offer.
Anyone agrees with me or not?
FortMacan

Unread postby Tropics » Sun May 19, 2013 3:49 pm

FortMacan wrote:That's why I am going to move to Fort Mac and hope to get more interview, assuming those companies operating there would like to pick a local person for interview or offer.
Anyone agrees with me or not?

Moving to Fort McMurray without employment lined up is a great idea. The average household here makes over $160,000 a year and that means they are usually not all that interested in taking their bottles to the bottle depot. You should have no problem collecting at least $50 worth of bottles a day if you work hard at it.

Good luck!
Tropics

Unread postby FortMacan » Sun May 19, 2013 6:59 pm

[/quote] $50 worth of bottles a day![/quote]
Thanks for sharing your precious experience! :roll:
As I know, it is not that hard to find a casual job making over $100 a day. 8-)
And I believe I can soon find a job making over $200 a day with my ABSA 4th class power engineer ticket. :mrgreen:
FortMacan

Unread postby MacDaddy » Mon May 20, 2013 8:59 am

FortMacan wrote: $50 worth of bottles a day!
Thanks for sharing your precious experience! :roll:
As I know, it is not that hard to find a casual job making over $100 a day. 8-)
And I believe I can soon find a job making over $200 a day with my ABSA 4th class power engineer ticket. :mrgreen:

Well, I think I see your problem. You seem to be thinking too highly of your 4th class ticket. Employers are turned off when they see any type of new graduate who thinks they are as valuable as a seasoned pro with years of actual experience. This happens with people with graduate degrees (Masters, PHDs), professional degrees (MDs, engineers, dentists, lawyers) all the way down people who hold certificates after taking a couple of classes. I have told more than one person over the years that they should ask for a refund from their university because they think they are experts simply because the got a degree. I tell them that if they had a quality education they should graduate be humble as hell. Why? its because they understand that they actually know so little and need to learn much much more.

So my friend keep in mind that your eight months of training isn't that special. It probably gives you enough to understand the instructions being used by someone trying to train you. Even a graduate from a university engineering program has to work in the field for several years before they can even apply to write the Peng exam. In medicine, you are looking at many years of clerkship, internship and residency. Skilled trades have to invest years in various apprenticeship programs before they can get their full credentials.

One day I hope you can make your $200/day dream come true. Once you reach that goal you will be able to rent one of the many illegal basement apartments folks have in their homes.

Best of luck to you, and remember to keep it humble when applying.
MacDaddy

Unread postby FortMacan » Mon May 20, 2013 1:08 pm

Guess what, MDddy? You seem to give me a lesson which I have known too much to give even 1 more glance. I don't behave as what you wrote, proud of my certificate and 4th class ticket and think I can easily find a high-pay job. And you, as Tropics did, appear to be sour against a new guy moving to For Mac. I know what I want and I am not as immature as you both think, and definitely not as poor as you both described, choosing an illegal basement and collecting bottles for $50 a day. You both think you are superior to us newcomers, just because you both have jobs and houses in Fort Mac? Haha, you are kidding me. I know you guys stay in this forum long time, but it doesn't mean anything if you always sneer at newcomers.
BTW, making $200 a day is that hard as you said? Let's see.
FortMacan

Unread postby Tropics » Tue May 21, 2013 12:07 pm

You misunderstand the warning you are being given.You speak of a casual $100 a day job being easy to get, you cannot live on that here. That basement suite without a stove or oven? Yeah that one you seem to think makes you "poor", it costs $1600-$2000 of your "net" income each month. To live like that, which is by no means "nice" you need to clear about $3000 a month after taxes to be living paycheck to paycheck.

You don't want to move to fort McMurray and make $200 a day, if you do you are living in poverty. If you come to fort McMurray without a job and don't get a decent job real fast this town will chew through your savings like you wont believe. If you want to come here without a job then great, bring $20,000 cash, that will last 6 months or so before it is all gone.

I make closer to $400 a day up here and guess what, it is not enough to live a normal life, I am looking for one of those crappy basement suites as we speak.

Take some advice from the people already here, we have learned the reality of this place and how it differs from the stories you read on the internet and see in the media.
Tropics

Unread postby palmseed » Tue May 21, 2013 3:22 pm

FortMacan, Tropics is correct. You need to make at least $5-600 per day working 25 days+ per month to live a normal life here. How else would you be able to afford your 2 iPhones, F-450 diesel idling all day long, eating out 6 days a week 2 times a day, pay for the nanny because mommy needs to work so daddy can get that new quad and boat he needs. Good thing that the nanny only gets paid for 45 hours of work per week even though she works over 60 otherwise the plan will all fall apart.
palmseed

Unread postby FortMacan » Tue May 21, 2013 7:24 pm

Walala, my intention of talking about the chance of getting a power engineer/process operator job turns out to be a surviving problem in For Mac.
To clarify, I am single and have no burden now except my living cost in F mac, which I don't really think is a problem, if according to someone's standard is below poverty line. :oops:
I searched the room rental on some websites and find a single room costs around 1k, everything inclusive. So I think 1.5k a month is fair for me. Of course, Ion't have car and other expenses. And a room of 1k is typical of one in a house, 2-4 people sharing bathroom, laundry, kitchen (I can easily cook food for 3 meals a day).
I guess someone would say 1.5k a month for living is M.I. but that's the M.P. case for me. :roll:
Most important, I need to get a job in my area ASAP. :lol:
Come on, let's challenge the said hard life in F.Mc. and we will see what will happen in a few months. In the worst case, if I can't balance my earning and cost in 3 months, I will just simply withdraw from F. Mc. hahaha, what is the big deal anyway? C'est la vie! :mrgreen:
FortMacan

Next

Return to Jobs