Civil Engineer site work

What is the best place to work in Fort McMurray? Share your experiences.

Civil Engineer site work

I am a 30 year old Civil Engineer from Ireland. I was meant to be starting work with a Civil contractor in Fort Mc on 1st of April. This company was putting through an LMO for me to get a work visa. They started the process in January but they contacted me last week and said that their company is currently going through an audit by the government and that basically it could take up to 6 months before my application goes through. I am now looking to get in contact with another company in Fort Mc that does large civil works and could sponsor me to work there. Nearly all of the Civil Engineering positions online are in the design field, which I have no experience in and most companies wont talk to me as I don't have a visa. Basically I would appreciate it if anybody had a contact they could give me to get in touch with someone in the Civil works/ Earth works industry I would really appreciate it as I am in a very difficult position right now.
Chewthecud

Civil Engineer site work

Sponsors

Advertise in Fort McMurray

Re: Civil Engineer site work

Unread postby jango » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:36 am

try doing a Skilled worker application from your end, it can be processed in under 2 years depending on processing time, i know it seems long but it will pay out in the long run.
you need to be registered as an engineer with APEGA ( www.apega.org) to practice engineering in alberta, and can't declare yourself as an engineer in the province without getting registered, if your degree is done with a university that is not accredited with Canada, you will need minimum 120 months of verified engineering experience, or have to write a FE engineering exam done by NCEES ( www.NCEES.org)
you can still practice engineering here but it would legally need to be done under the direct supervision of a registered engineer ( Peng.)
jango

Unread postby Chewthecud » Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:01 pm

Thanks for the reply Jango but due to the economy in Ireland I have to leave there and find work somewhere so I don't have 2 years to wait around for a Skilled worker application. I visited Canada last November and found the company that would get the LMO for me to work there and I need to get in contact with another company that can do this for me as the first one isn't going to be done in time and I am in need of work asap.
Chewthecud

Unread postby Tropics » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:08 pm

Could be hard, things are not exactly booming in fort mac right now due to depressed bitumen prices and a lack of pipeline capacity to expand production. There are likely Canadian engineers willing and able to take the jobs you seek and companies are required to hire Canadian citizens for positions such as the one you seek and can only hire non-Canadians and get the visas if they can prove due dilligence in trying to hire locally and being unsuccessful in finding a Canadian that fits the job requirements.

Many companies may try to skirt this obligation and hire internationally for a few bucks lower then local standard but do that too much and the government notices and the company can have their hiring practices come under the microscope.
Tropics

Unread postby MacDaddy » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:59 pm

Also keep in mind that having an employee on a company sponsored work visa is probably one of the few ways to legally own a slave in Canada. "If you don't follow our demands we will cut your position and report you to immigration to get you deported."
MacDaddy

Return to Jobs