Crane operator information

What is the best place to work in Fort McMurray? Share your experiences.

Hi all, My name is Scott and i`m posting this in the hope someone can offer information on working as a crane operator in Fort McMurry.
Firstly I should explain I am from Scotland and am currently working as a mobile crane op in Aberdeen.I have gained years of experience operating most modern cranes particularly Liebherr,Terrex,and Grove.
I have earned well in Aberdeen, however over the last 12 months I have noticed a down turn and am now looking into the possibility of opportunities abroad.
Having looked online there appears to be a lot of vacancies for crane operators in the Alberta area, but I would much prefer to know the "warts and all" reality before I take it any further and preferably from someone already in the job.
Anyone who can help with relevant information /advise, your comments would be much appreciated.
cicsware

cicsware

Sponsors

Advertise in Fort McMurray

Re: Crane operator information

Unread postby MacDaddy » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:26 pm

First question should be can you legally work in Canada?

Second question should be are your qualifications recognized in Canada?

Third, be warned that our winters are not very kilt friendly.
MacDaddy

Re: Crane operator information

Unread postby cicsware » Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:36 am

Hi thanks for the reply and yes I realize there is going to be a process to go through .I don't expect to just swan in and start work ,however from what I understand this can be overcome through the federal skilled workers program.
I also believe my skills can transferred providing I have documented proof of my hours on the job.
Also for the record our winter in Scotland isn't exactly tropical but I get what you mean.
cicsware

Return to Jobs