Heavy Equipment

What is the best place to work in Fort McMurray? Share your experiences.

Heavy Equipment

Hey everyone, I'm interested in heavy equipment operating in fort mac. However I am unfamiliar with the boom cycle and weather or not some of the companies are hiring people with no experience. What do you think the chances are of obtaining a heavy equipment job (excavators, ART, graders, dozers) with no previous work of the sort and a GDL license? I would assume low but I would love to hear any informed opinions before I invest any sort of capital in training for an environment I know little of currently.

Thanks

-Arnold
arnold

Sponsored links

Advertise in Fort McMurray

Re: Heavy Equipment

Unread postby mcmurrian » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:49 pm

In case you can't find anything without prior experience you can apply to Heavy Equipment programs at Keyano College http://keyano.ca/programs/trades%20heavy%20industrial
Get your latest Fort McMurray News
mcmurrian
Site Admin

Unread postby arnold » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:16 pm

Thank you, but I have already looked at the school you so graciously posted. In fact the one I am considering with perusal is IHE in innisfail south of Red Deer. What I was mainly inquiring about was if anyone had any personal connections close to the sources for the prospects of future and current employment. I don't wish to be prejudice to schools (fine as they are) but I do know that from a business sense they will always remain optimistic (with possible bias) in order to entice students to train with them and keep their income rolling.

This is why if anyone is actually in the industry and has a first hand account of what is really happening in regards to the employment here and now I would love hear their input (or at least their best guess) If confidentiality is a problem. I can provide an email at which you can reach me.

Thanks, and thank you mcmurian!

-Arnold
arnold

Unread postby budwuflbag » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:08 pm

as long as there is growth in this region there will be demand for HEOs
however you will need some sort of qualification if you have no experience.
Keyano has some good programs that are well-recognised in industry, but whichever school you choose the important thing is that you get the training which will tell employers why they should hire you rather than some other guy off the street.
budwuflbag

Unread postby arnold » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:37 pm

Thanks for your help everyone, I managed to poke around a bit and now have enough information to make an informed decision. Still, thanks for contributing.

-Arnold
arnold

Return to Jobs