JOBS IN THE OIL INDUSTRY [yes or no]

What is the best place to work in Fort McMurray? Share your experiences.

JOBS IN THE OIL INDUSTRY [yes or no]

Hi all. Irish plumber in Toronto here. I'm getting ready to sit my red seal in plumbing next week, once i have it i would like to work in the oil industry. I've been applying for jobs online but no luck so far. I would like to get fly in fly out work to start before making another big move across the country. I'm not that naive to think its just a matter of going there and finding work easily but from the outside looking in it seems my trade is in high demand within the industry but when it comes to job posting not so much. Am i just wasting my time applying for jobs online without specific experience in the industry ? Any assistance or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Paddy0408

Sponsored links

Advertise in Fort McMurray

Re: JOBS IN THE OIL INDUSTRY [yes or no]

Unread postby MacDaddy » Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:50 am

The companies will want individuals with industrial experience. If you are a dripping faucet clogged toilet kind of plumber they really have no use for you. If they are going to have to babysit and teach you everything they might as well hire a first year apprentice for a much lower salary. So if this describe your background I have to say no camp for you, NEXT!
MacDaddy

Re: JOBS IN THE OIL INDUSTRY [yes or no]

Unread postby 1crazylady » Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:59 am

too bad you are finishing your plumbing ticket. Pipefitter, welder, electrician, boilermaker, millwright, instrument mechanic, heavy duty mechanic: all these are much more desired in the oil/gas industry. And you are more than welcome to fly in/out- on your own dime. I don't understand why everyone east of Manitoba thinks that Alberta companies are always willing to pay for worker flights, someone must be doing a great job of spreading rumours.
1crazylady

Return to Jobs