Moving to Fort Mc in January

What is the best place to work in Fort McMurray? Share your experiences.

Moving to Fort Mc in January

Hello All,

I've been lurking on this forum for quite a bit of time. I will be moving to Fort Mc in January 2014 from the UK, I am currently my own boss and work in security consulting but work has dried up and have planned for a long time to move there with my partner who is Canadian.

My question, is there much work in the security industry at Fort Mc and if not is their much work for people with little experience in the oil industry.

Any help would be great as I'm trying to build a few contacts in the area so I'm not going there blind.
WonTwo3For

Sponsored links

Advertise in Fort McMurray

Re: Moving to Fort Mc in January

Unread postby MacDaddy » Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:08 am

Well, if you have been lurking you will know it is ill advised to just show up without a job waiting for you. You will also know about the high cost of living here but depending on where in the UK you live you may already be accustomed to outrageous rents and home prices. There are many security companies here and by some of the staff they seem to hire they must be desperate for bodies. You may want to confirm that your credentials are recognized by the province of Alberta and then contact some of the larger providers in the area (Garda, Paladin, G4S come to mind). They may offer something above an entry level job which is not going to be your ticket to financial freedom here.

You will also want to look into your immigration requirements. Being married to a Canadian citizen is not an instant approval to live and work here. there are hoops to jump through and it is not going to be quick. I would get all this addressed prior to moving to Canada as you will not be allowed to work until you have made it through the bureaucracy of the Immigration department.

So as always, get things arranged prior to moving here. It is an expensive town to be sitting around doing nothing.
MacDaddy

Re: Moving to Fort Mc in January

Unread postby mcmurrian » Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:40 am

Just to add to what MacDaddy said, consider looking for security jobs in Edmonton and Calgary.
Get your latest Fort McMurray News
mcmurrian
Site Admin

Return to Jobs