Need some advice moving to fort mac/jobs

What is the best place to work in Fort McMurray? Share your experiences.

Re: Need some advice moving to fort mac/jobs

dolphin wrote:I just checked SGS, they posted for a lab tech on the 5th. I'm hopeful for ya

Thank you. I have tried SGS, Maxxam, and AGAT - they all seem to be similar in their recruiting strategy. They constantly post the same jobs which I believe I am qualified for but I never get a response back from them.

So, I have come to believe:

1) They keep letting people go and find better candidates all the time, or
2) This is some requirement to post online for some kind of tax break and hire outside of Canada, or
3) I am not apparently qualified which is strange since I meet 90%+ of their requirements

Kind of disappointed with that and I was told AGAT is the worst offender in hiring people. It's alright though, I am still looking and will continue to do so until September 20ish when I move to Fort Mac. Then I'll come apply in person.
tgtac

Sponsored links

Advertise in Fort McMurray

Unread postby MacDaddy » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:24 am

tgtac wrote:
So, I have come to believe:

1) They keep letting people go and find better candidates all the time, or
2) This is some requirement to post online for some kind of tax break and hire outside of Canada, or
3) I am not apparently qualified which is strange since I meet 90%+ of their requirements

I'll add number four for you.
4) They continue to post the position so they can make a claim they can't hire a Canadian resident and need to bring in a temporary foreign worker.

You see when they have someone on a employer sponsored work visa they have someone they can treat like a slave. If they terminate the individual, or they quit, the visa goes and they go home. Add to that the person probably is unaware of their rights working in Canada and will do anything they are told just to keep the job and stay in Canada.
MacDaddy

Unread postby tgtac » Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:52 pm

Looks like I'll have to go to Fort McMurray without a job. I know this is a horrible plan... but it seems like I can not get an interview.

Perhaps, I might get a better chance if I happen to apply in person at some companies there?
tgtac

Unread postby MacDaddy » Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:14 pm

I think your money would be better invested in boosting your education. The type of lab work done in town will be quick, simple and easily done by a lab tech, not an individual with a degree. More complex work is easily shipped out to one of the larger labs in Edmonton or Calgary. If you really want to work in this community look into something that requires you to be physically present and use the old grey matter. A close career match to your degree would be an Occupational Hygienist. You could probably get advanced standing in a program based on your chem degree and not spend too much time upgrading. Have a look at this link to get a better idea if you would like this field. http://alis.alberta.ca/occinfo/Content/ ... D=71002660 Many of the big companies employ these people directly while others use consulting firms.

You would be less worried about being replaced by a Fedex shipping box going to a Calgary lab.
MacDaddy

Unread postby tgtac » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:57 pm

MacDaddy wrote:I think your money would be better invested in boosting your education. The type of lab work done in town will be quick, simple and easily done by a lab tech, not an individual with a degree. More complex work is easily shipped out to one of the larger labs in Edmonton or Calgary. If you really want to work in this community look into something that requires you to be physically present and use the old grey matter. A close career match to your degree would be an Occupational Hygienist. You could probably get advanced standing in a program based on your chem degree and not spend too much time upgrading. Have a look at this link to get a better idea if you would like this field. http://alis.alberta.ca/occinfo/Content/ ... D=71002660 Many of the big companies employ these people directly while others use consulting firms.

You would be less worried about being replaced by a Fedex shipping box going to a Calgary lab.

Hey MacDaddy,

Yep, I've been applying to Calgary, Red Deer, and Edmonton as well. I don't understand why a degree is such a turn off for these companies. I got the degree to get a job and not to go for continued education. It's a double edge sword. If I go back to school, my career path just gets narrower and narrower and my job opportunities will end up with "over qualified"...

I've been trying Suncor, Syncrude, Maxxam and a bunch of other regular posters on online job boards. Still no luck...

I think the only solution is to move to Fort Mac and work at some other job until I can land a better position in the Oil/Gas field that pays well. I am tired of working here in Ontario at near minimum wage salaries.
tgtac

Unread postby MacDaddy » Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:58 pm

I am afraid that most employers will bre looking for someone with working skills for the laboratory. BSc Chem students usually are really lacking in in this department which was why I suggested pushing your bench experience over academics. Someone from a lab tech program will not only have experience using equipment but will know how to troubleshoot strange results, perform repairs etc. Throw into the mix that they most likely have several co-op placements who provided good references and you are not going to get that call. To be painfully honest your BSc is really only going to help you once you have a job and want promotions. I blame the high schools for the assumption that a university education is the ticket to the good life. Unless you get a degree that is required to practice a specific career field (doctor, nurse, engineer etc) you should not go to university if you just want a job.

I really don't think you will be happy if you move out here and take a McJob while you hand out resumes. You need some work experience to compete with those lab tech grads who log many more house at the bench than a BSc guy. If you don't want to upgrade the education would you be willing to consider doing some free work at a lab? If you still live near your university go have a chat with a faculty member who has an active lab. This is done from time to time by folks who are either looking for work experience or want a faculty member helping them into a grad school program. Not to mention a reference from a high profile researcher never hurts. I have also seen people like this end up getting a salary from a research grant if their work makes a good impression with the researcher.

So those are my thoughts. This is a very expensive town to show up and bang on doors for a job. If you have your heart set on it though I wish you the best of luck.
MacDaddy

Unread postby BrianBrain » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:48 am

Fort Mac is only part of the oil patch. 4th class power engineers can get jobs as boiler hands making $25 to $35 per hour living in camps and hotels. 8-10gs per month no problem and we are in demand. Search Kijiji for boiler operators.
BrianBrain

Unread postby syedn » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:12 pm

hey bud,
have you got any job in fort mac? i am also thinking of moving there aswell. so if you can share your experience in terms of jobs, it would be appreciated. thanks
syedn

Previous

Return to Jobs