oil sands career help

What is the best place to work in Fort McMurray? Share your experiences.

Re: oil sands career help

The Haul Driver program says it's closed until Fall 2014 at Keyano. The price ~$6,000 is about what I'd pay here in Ontario.

I'm wondering two things:

I'm 51, ok shape, no encumbrances, would it be smart for me to pay the $10,000 for an 10-12 week haul truck course (plus dump truck), includes Excavator and Dozer Training here in Ontario (lodging included)? It seems a very respected place (TTCC) from all the company letterheads requesting drivers from there. I have a background in paint/plaster/reno as well as 12 years teaching/managing (ESL, so it's not accredited or counting for much)

Would it be smart for me to take a camper trailer and haul it behind my Ford F-150 all the way to Fort Mac so I'll have a paid for place to live?

Would companies look with interest with someone like me doing this kind of stuff to get there?

Thanks for your comments.
cobhome

Sponsored links

Advertise in Fort McMurray

Unread postby 1crazylady » Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:45 pm

If you haul trailer up here, make sure you have a place to park it or you will end up living in the WalMart parking lot. Last I heard was that serviced camp spots were running around $800/month and had waiting lists. That info could be out of date, but Rotary park will not be available and I have not heard of any new sites opening up for campers.
Best wishes to you!
1crazylady

Unread postby mcmurrian » Tue Dec 24, 2013 7:45 am

Check out some these opportunities at Keyano for teachers http://www.keyano.ca/ContinuingEducatio ... orOpenings
You might be able to teach in the evening and take your course during the day. Plus Keyano might offer subsidized housing which is better than a trailer.
Get your latest Fort McMurray News
mcmurrian
Site Admin

Unread postby Jouissante » Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:13 pm

Will it be possible to obtain employment with a few weeks roaster? I looked at suncor and typically they said their rotation it 3days followed by 3 nights and then 6days off. Is that all they have for rotations? Thanks you guys!!
Jouissante

Previous

Return to Jobs