Power Engineer Qualifications

What is the best place to work in Fort McMurray? Share your experiences.

Hello, new to the forum. I saw the post from last year about the guy asking about power engineer jobs. I had further questions about that.

I worked in an oil refinery as an operator for 9 years. I moved to Canada and got my 4th class PE ticket. I'm wondering what other certifications would make me marketable for employment.

I'm thinking of getting the Oil Field Operator certificate and Gas Plant Operator certificate, but I'm trying not to waste money on things that wont help. I have WHMIS and TDG cards. I'm thinking of getting first aid and H2S.

Thoughts and suggestions? Anything is appreciated.

Thanks!
Living the dream

Sponsors

Advertise in Fort McMurray

Re: Power Engineer Qualifications

Unread postby MacDaddy » Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:37 pm

What about working toward Third Class, Second Class or First Class Power Engineer certification? Ambition is a good thing you know.
MacDaddy

Unread postby Living the dream » Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:30 pm

MacDaddy wrote:What about working toward Third Class, Second Class or First Class Power Engineer certification? Ambition is a good thing you know.

I don't have the firing time for 3rd class, so eventually, I'll get stuck and not be able to move on with it. I thought maybe there would be other certifications I would need to get a job. My intent is to start 3rd class upon getting hired some place. If employers like to see people already enrolled, thats good to know.

Though it sounds a bit more like the Oil Field and Gas Plant operator certs would be a better start.
Living the dream

Unread postby MacDaddy » Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:24 pm

By all means make them aware of your ambitions. That is part of setting yourself above the other candidates. any employer that isn't impressed will probably be just looking for disposable grunts and you really don't want to start a career with those types.
MacDaddy

Unread postby Living the dream » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:22 pm

Alright. Thanks for the info!
Living the dream

Return to Jobs