What is the best trade to learn currently?

What is the best place to work in Fort McMurray? Share your experiences.

What is the best trade to learn currently?

I am a 21 year old male who after 2 years of doing business at the UofA needs to start a new career path. I currently live in Fort Mac and was wondering what trade you all would recommend that could give a solid career in Alberta? I have pretty much everything I need academically (Pure Math 30, English/Social/Science 30-1) so upgrading isn't necessary for me.

I was told Power engineering was a possible choice because you get money while learning on the job, but I'm open to anything. Just don't want to get stuck paying 6000+ for a dying trade is all.
JRoc

Sponsored links

Advertise in Fort McMurray

Re: What is the best trade to learn currently?

Unread postby MacDaddy » Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:37 pm

If you want to be happy you need to look for something that interests you. Not what is the hottest thing on the market now. During the tech boom everyone was signing up for computer science programs. Look at that field now. As you are ditching university after two years I am guessing you chose a business degree so you could make oodles of cash instead of actually being interested the academics of the field. If you are still enrolled at the U of A I would suggest going to the counselling services centre and asking if you can take some form of vocational interest and aptitude testing. This would also be available through private career counsellors. psychologists etc.

I have always told people to choose what they love and become one of the best in the field. With some exceptions there is always a job for the best of any field.
MacDaddy

Re: What is the best trade to learn currently?

Unread postby Yossarian » Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:27 pm

Heavy Duty Mechanic. There have been over 200 vacancies for 5 straight years. You can also get work out of the area but not the $250,000 you can make here.
Yossarian

Return to Jobs