Why are fort mcmurray pay rates such a secret?

What is the best place to work in Fort McMurray? Share your experiences.

Why are fort mcmurray pay rates such a secret?

Don't tell or there will be discipline!

Why do the companies around here keep the pay rates such a secret? Is it none of your business? I just don't understand why it needs to be hidden. With the hiring rate and recruitment I would think they want to attract people any way possible. So can anyone explain why pay rates are such a taboo thing to mention?
Jack Clank

Sponsored links

Advertise in Fort McMurray

Re: Why are fort mcmurray pay rates such a secret?

Unread postby 1crazylady » Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:17 am

I think it is an attempt to stop 'job hoppers' from bouncing around site to site to chase the higher wage. If wages were made public outside of Fort Mac there would be people coming here from all over the country expecting to strike it rich and then ending up putting even more strain on assistance programs because they did not bother to investigate the cost of housing first. Hmmm, pretty sure this has happened already if the numbers of families needing the food bank & Santa's Anonymous are to be used as an example.
1crazylady

Unread postby MacDaddy » Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:59 pm

I doubt it would be to prevent people from applying who want more money. More likely it is because so many groups offer a lower wage rate then push the "total compensation story" on you when you interview. The HR people will go on and on about the annual value of your stock plan, drug plan, life and disability (short and long term) insurance. When they finish they probably come up with you making double the hourly rate. The catch is that you don't get much of cash from stocks and such until you have worked for them for several years. Not a good deal if you can't wait to buy the F350 with the lift kit and one of everything from the bling section at Canadian Tire.
MacDaddy

Unread postby Jack Clank » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:18 pm

MacDaddy wrote:I doubt it would be to prevent people from applying who want more money. More likely it is because so many groups offer a lower wage rate then push the "total compensation story" on you when you interview. The HR people will go on and on about the annual value of your stock plan, drug plan, life and disability (short and long term) insurance. When they finish they probably come up with you making double the hourly rate. The catch is that you don't get much of cash from stocks and such until you have worked for them for several years. Not a good deal if you can't wait to buy the F350 with the lift kit and one of everything from the bling section at Canadian Tire.

Ya I hear you on the "total package" line MacDaddy but if 1crazylady is right at all (see post above) all the families on assistance would benefit from those extras.
Still the wage is the bottom line and that cash is what pays for the toys not the shares and taxed to the max incentives and bonus. Not turning my nose up at the retentions and housing but show me the money.
Jack Clank

Unread postby Cthulhu » Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:02 pm

Well, if pay rates are a taboo thing to talk about, are we allowed to talk about our 'total package'?...

I will be the first to say, my total package is bigger than your total package.. :)
Cthulhu

Return to Jobs