Considering Relocation for IT job

Thinking about visiting or moving to Fort McMurray? Ask the people who live here your questions.

Considering Relocation for IT job

Hello all,

I’m a 37yo male, an accomplished and experienced office & call center (Dispatch/IT helpdesk) manager with 15yrs experience supervising 20+ staff for an IT service company in Burnaby. However, I’m not that technical (A+, MCP, etc), more of a top end power user. Other various duties have included, maintenance contract administration, logistics (shipping/receiving), payroll and some accounts receivable tasks all with solid measurable success. There is much more but I’m not trying post a resume but rather get a feel if Ft Mc can offer me greater opportunity to better provide for my wife and new baby. The idea I’m playing with is to move there, live in high priced squalor and send the cheqs home. My impression of Ft Mc is that it is a rough, cash heavy city filled with blue collar men that are mentally erect, no place for a family. I hear 3rd party stories of lesser qualified administrators earning top dollar and would like to proof it out. Is there demand for people like me there? Is the city really no place to walk alone at night? Is it worth talking to a local employment agency or monitor employers and apply direct?

I really appreciate candid replies and any help to make an informed decision.
myson

Sponsored links

Advertise in Fort McMurray

Re: Considering Relocation

Unread postby MacDaddy » Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:10 pm

Well if you have researched this idea or at the very least looked at the postings on this bulletin board you will know that this town is in desperate need of people with IT and call centre backgrounds. Quit your job ASAP and come right away to Fort McMurray. After the parade honouring your arrival the mayor will provide you with the keys to your mansion and jacked up F350 (bumper hitch testicles included). Then, come Monday morning, you will start your $500,000/yr call centre managers job with full benefits and perks.

Welcome to the land of milk and honey.... and Jiggs Dinners b'ye!
MacDaddy

Re: Considering Relocation

Unread postby mcmurrian » Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:47 pm

Moving here in hopes of finding an IT job is not a good financial decision. Read this thread about IT jobs in Fort McMurray newcomers/how-computer-ralated-job-opportunity-fort-t631.html

A lot of people make this city their home and raise kids here. Read through some of the threads in the Newcomers forum, a lot of people have tried to dispel the myth that this city is only inhabited by blue collar men. You can definitely walk safely at night by yourself, just like in any city there is a few areas where you might encounter some shady characters (7/11 downtown).

Monitor the jobs sites for any positions relative to your experience and apply to them.
Get your latest Fort McMurray News
mcmurrian
Site Admin

Re: Considering Relocation for IT job

Unread postby 1crazylady » Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:28 pm

Always best to have the job here before moving. Some companies offer a moving allowance and mortgage assistance as a perk to accepting the job and being willing to make the move.
1crazylady

Unread postby dolphin » Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:38 am

" My impression of Ft Mc is that it is a rough, cash heavy city filled with blue collar men that are mentally erect, no place for a family. "

I'm sorry you have the wrong impression of the city I live in . Yes there are people here who work hard, when you go out to eat there is almost always someone there wearing coveralls and I guess that makes them blue collar. No they are not "rough", they are hard workers that is all. Truth is there are many families here, lots of kids and lots of family oriented activities. Leaving your family behind is not a good idea, few who do that seem to be happy. The wife misses you, the kids miss you, you don't enjoy travelling or your work days. Families who relocate seem much happier to me.

Yes you can walk around at night, I have many times walked through downtown at night alone.

You will not get rich quick. Housing is expensive which is why the pay is high. Get a job before you move. All jobs are posted on Workopolis.com.
If you know SAP there is demand for you as a buyer at every site. That is in high demand. Everyone uses SAP.
dolphin

Unread postby hollis » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:23 pm

dolphin wrote:" My impression of Ft Mc is that it is a rough, cash heavy city filled with blue collar men that are mentally erect, no place for a family. "

I'm sorry you have the wrong impression of the city I live in . Yes there are people here who work hard, when you go out to eat there is almost always someone there wearing coveralls and I guess that makes them blue collar. No they are not "rough", they are hard workers that is all. Truth is there are many families here, lots of kids and lots of family oriented activities. Leaving your family behind is not a good idea, few who do that seem to be happy. The wife misses you, the kids miss you, you don't enjoy travelling or your work days. Families who relocate seem much happier to me.

Yes you can walk around at night, I have many times walked through downtown at night alone.

You will not get rich quick. Housing is expensive which is why the pay is high. Get a job before you move. All jobs are posted on Workopolis.com.
If you know SAP there is demand for you as a buyer at every site. That is in high demand. Everyone uses SAP.

I agree with everything said here:
many people wear coveralls out, so what?
It is a good place for families with lots of activities
I feel safe walking alone

Check out companies like Acrodex for IT and Design Group. The idea may be to start work in a completely different field for a while and see how it goes. Many people start work as coach drivers. We certainly need lots.
hollis

Return to Newcomers