French immersion public school for Grade 2

Thinking about visiting or moving to Fort McMurray? Ask the people who live here your questions.

hi I need all your help fort mcmurray mom's out there, I will be moving to fort mcmurray very soon and I have been crying all the time, worried about my daughter that is only 7 years, I need the best school in fort mcmurray for French immersion public for Grade 2's, I will be moving into timberlea area, because I was told that this is the best area out there. please help me out I need all the help possible, I have never been there before and I do not want to ruin my daughter's life or education............. PLEASE REPLY ASAP .....
private1

Sponsors

Advertise in Fort McMurray

Re: French immersion public school for Grade 2

Unread postby cavalierkingcharles » Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:55 am

If you're wanting to put her in the public school system, then Ecole Dickinsfield School is the only French immersion elementary school, which then you go to Ecole McTavish for junior high, then Westwood High School.

I've gone to Dickinsfield when we first moved here for the French immersion program and they're great, but that was back when they were both elementary and junior high.i don't know how McTavish is, but when I was going to high school, I didn't go to Westwood, but I went to Father Mercredi, then I graduated when Holy Trinity first opened in the french immersion program. Now, only Trinity has the French immersion program for high school in the catholic school system. I thought the catholic system wasn't any different then the public system, in fact I liked it more, and I'm most certainly not religious at all, but they do have really good extracurricular programs like SADD and Santa's Anonymous, and those are really fun things to volunteer for!!
cavalierkingcharles

Unread postby coulomberic » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:19 am

You also have the option of putting her in a full French program at École Boreal.
And about Timberlea, it is the newest part of town, but it lacks shopping options, and it is grossly overcrowded, with narrow streets, with parked cars and trucks turning everything to one-lane maze.
In my opinion, the best part of town is Thickwood.
Mature neighborhood, close to the 2 high schools, golf, walking trails.
Everything will be OK in the end. If it is not OK, it is not the end yet.
coulomberic

Unread postby palmseed » Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:02 am

That's your first problem. Timberlea is not the nicest place in town, just the newest. If you like big houses in little yards, that's the place to be. Since houses up there cost $250000 more than anywhere else, most people have renters. With all the small yards, this means there is nowhere to park. I'll put my thumbs up for Dickensfield. Older part of town and not nearly as crowded.
palmseed

Unread postby nikkininedraw » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:36 am

Ecole Dickensfield is a excellent school both my kids go and I have nothing but good things to say the teachers are awesome and they do so many family events I would highly recommend it!
nikkininedraw

Unread postby snowboarder1019 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:09 pm

Ecole Dickinsfield is your only option because Ecole unless your are francophone there's no point. After grade 6 the francophone kids go to Mctavish and continue onto Westwood with the French Immersion kids, although this does give more resources and better teachers than another district and allows Westwood to offer French immersion math and science which no other district offers.
snowboarder1019

Unread postby newfiechick17 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:58 am

I dont think there is anything wrong with Timberlea, besides the constant congestion of cars. I live in a big house, well what I consider big and I have a huge back yard. Love this area of town. Im not french immersion so I cant really comment much but a friend of mine went to Ecole Dickensfield and loved it. I know you have to be a francophone family in order for kids to attend Ecole Boreal, however my friends 4 yearold goes there and they are not 100% francophone because my friend doesbt speak any french and her daughters first language is English, also thats the primary language in the household.
newfiechick17

Unread postby MacDaddy » Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:17 pm

Dickinsfield is the top school when you look at the Fraser Institute rankings. http://alberta.compareschoolrankings.or ... elementary

While some people criticize rankings like this it is worth mentioning that two of their staff, Diane Rizzuto and Kitty Cochrane are recipients of the 2013 Excellence in Teaching Awards from the province of Alberta. Two out of the top twenty teachers for Alberta isn't that bad in my books.
http://www.education.alberta.ca/teacher ... o2013.aspx
MacDaddy

Return to Newcomers